Constant 0xa0000001 with Asus R9 290

Tengis

Supreme [H]ardness
Built a computer for a friend of mine. Basically, the computer keeps blue screening with this error at least a couple times a day. Ive tried the card in multiple computers and it follows the card. I havent fully been able to figure out what is causing it... the video card seems to be rock solid stable with 3Dmark looping.

Googling the error brings up numerous results and its apparently either related to the video card going into a low power setting when you arent doing anything and/or from hardware acceleration on pages like Youtube.

I have completely uninstalled and deleted the drivers from the system and reinstalled the newest - still crashes. Ive used MSI Afterburner to raise the power limit to 50% - it still crashes although it doesnt seem as common. I have not tried locking the GPU core voltage as I feel this really shouldnt be necessary.

Flash firmware/bios?
Im thinking about RMAing the card. Thoughts?

Last edited:
0xa0000001 is a generic error specific to AMD hardware. Unfortunately you can't really get anymore specific than that. Even when you try to pinpoint the module that caused the blue screen it usually just points to the AMD drivers.

Some people have had success eliminating the error by not installing CCC with the AMD drivers. I would go a step further and make sure the PCI-E power cables are secured and that the card isn't overheating.

It is a known issue and there's no fix except switching to a newer platform.

0xa0000001 is caused by low load 3D gaming on X58 (and few other) chipsets. BF4 - works like a charm, but Youtube, Diablo3, WildStar, some others - crashing randomly with BSOD.

Flash firmware/bios?
Im thinking about RMAing the card. Thoughts?

You can flash a modded PT1 BIOS, I think it removes all limites, but the consequences may be pretty bad on the long run.

Check to see if the motherboard has an NF200 chip on it. It took me 3 months to figure it out but that was causing my 290 issues. I went from a sandy bridge Asus WS board (which has the NF200) to another Asus SB motherboard (Sabertooth) and as soon as I put them on the sabertooth I've had zero issues since.

If that's not the case then I have no idea and my heart goes out to you.

Motherboard is a brand new Asus Z97 motherboard with a 4690k. Shouldn't be overheating - did a custom fan profile that raises fan speed significantly.

Motherboard is a Z97a... I can't figure out if it has nf200.

I would just rma it. My 290 just died out of nowhere. Just got the rma back and it's been rock solid since.

Motherboard is a brand new Asus Z97 motherboard with a 4690k. Shouldn't be overheating - did a custom fan profile that raises fan speed significantly.

That's really strange. Once I switched from X58 to Z97 platform (ASUS Max VII Gene, 4790k) with the same OS, drivers, etc, all STOP 0xA0000001 went away. Never seen them in the last 3 months of gaming.

Back