Consolize MMO's

In a sense has it not already happened? I look at World of Warcraft as an example.

I wonder how they are going to consolize MMO's? you know they are next...

I don't see consolized MMO's taking off anywhere in the future. Microsoft, Nintendo, nor Sony want them too.

They make their money through game sales with their license fees. The goal of the companies is to have you buy as many games as possible, while playing your games for as short as possible. They hate people who don't move on to the next game while having devotion to an older game.

Yes, there are a few MMO's on the consoles, but for the most part, they're pretty bad. That's why they can live with it. But if a game with the popularity of WoW came out, MS, Nintendo, Sony, etc., would have to figure out a way to get their money through lack of sales of other games, and thus, instead of paying $10-$15 per month, you would be paying $20-$25 per month.

DC online looks ok from Totalbiscuit's play videos, but the menu system when buying and such sucks major ahole.

I dont get why consoles dont just use a pointer system like the pc, instead of the reverse

I don't see consolized MMO's taking off anywhere in the future. Microsoft, Nintendo, nor Sony want them too.

They make their money through game sales with their license fees. The goal of the companies is to have you buy as many games as possible, while playing your games for as short as possible. They hate people who don't move on to the next game while having devotion to an older game.

Yes, there are a few MMO's on the consoles, but for the most part, they're pretty bad. That's why they can live with it. But if a game with the popularity of WoW came out, MS, Nintendo, Sony, etc., would have to figure out a way to get their money through lack of sales of other games, and thus, instead of paying $10-$15 per month, you would be paying $20-$25 per month.

This was rumored to be the reason that FFXIV didn't go to XBox 360. Microsoft supposedly wanted a large percentage of the subscription fee funneled right to them.
I figured if this keeps developers away, they would just start requiring an xbox live 'platinum' membership or something to play mmo's.

Now that explains why most games only take 2 hours to complete

well the 20-25 won't make any difference to console people.
MOM

but it will then be well if they can pay it so can the pc people

Trying to play an mmo on a controller would be a really painful experience. Not sure why anyone ever tried it, even in FFXI days.

In a sense has it not already happened? I look at World of Warcraft as an example.

What do you mean? World of Warcraft is not available on consoles, does not have a console friendly user interface, DOES have a fully customizable interface, UI mods, a wide range of graphical settings, and so on. It provides no usable communication for people without a keyboard, and the in-game voice chat is not utilized by anyone.

It pretty much lacks any of the stuff you find in a console MMO.

What do you mean? World of Warcraft is not available on consoles, does not have a console friendly user interface, DOES have a fully customizable interface, UI mods, a wide range of graphical settings, and so on. It provides no usable communication for people without a keyboard, and the in-game voice chat is not utilized by anyone.

It pretty much lacks any of the stuff you find in a console MMO.

This is exactly true. This is the worst example of a console-ized game where it only has PC roots.

DC Universe and Final Fantasy XI are really the only two examples of console-ized MMO games.

WoW on a console? I'd love to see how you're going to give me control of all my rogues abilities via a controller (without using 3-button combos). Most MMO interfaces are just too complicated. FFXIV (Never played 11) could certainly be done, but it was designed from the ground up to be used on the PS3 anyway.

If you want to see what consolization looks like in an MMO just Look at Star Wars Galaxies, it was a complex sandbox (closest gameplay-wise would be Old School UO) untill sony decided it was going to move it to the PS3. so then you got the infamous NGE patch that took away 24 professions and sped up combat to bennyhill speeds. they lost more than 50% of their subscribers. and with the falure of the NGE so Horribly they never went though with the PS3 port.. and yet sony never apologizes nor changed the game back to the way it was. so SWG has remained on Lifesupport untill the next Star Wars MMO comes out.

Most MMOs are newbed up anyway, Yahzee sums up all MMO fights rather well when he says:

You target an enemy and kick his shins, he starts kicking your shins, you kick each others shins until one of you die, it's all about who started with the biggest boots. The only strategy exists is to know when you're outdone and to run away.

Modern MMOs appeal to the casual PC audience anyway so they're already about as newbed up as you can get, I don't think there is much left for consoles to strip away.

Still if the next generation of consoles have a better software upgrade system that allows developers to release free upgrade content online then MMOs might become a reality, it's certainly a lot of money begging to be made, we'll see it eventually.

Starting to see more of them in recent years, but it's mostly from Asian devs where the playerbase still has a heavy controller-bias when it comes to PC games (myself included, I use a usb controller more often than not playing on my PC).

Aside from communication, FFXI and FFXIV can be played 100% with a controller.
Big-time Korean MMOs TERA and Blade & Soul are heavily action/reaction oriented and are going to have very console/controller-friendly schema.
As already stated, DC Universe's UI and design screams console as well.

Last edited:

WoW is an example of how to bring a game to the masses and do it right. That's why there are still hardcore crazy motherfuckers who put in 8 hours a day raiding for the first 3 months after a big content release trying to complete everything but at the same time the game can hold a 10+ million subscriber base. The symptoms of consolization are many, but World of Warcraft does not exhibit them no matter how much you hate its behemoth size.

Back