Consoles killing PC gaming?

I live in Barbados, which is pretty much a vacuum for ANYTHING tech related. I just went home to Ireland on a holiday and couldn't believe the shelf space dedicated to PC games - there was nothing!!!! I was barely able to pick up a copy of GTA:SA, nobody was stocking it. I'd say there was about 50% PS2, 45% XBOX, and 5% PC. Is this a trend around the world too? Having said that, I'm finding the idea of XBox 360 quite attractive at this point - it's just getting too spendy to keep my PC up to date anymore.

PS - this post was actually prompted by my inability to get my LEGITIMATELY BOUGHT F'N COPY OF HALF LIFE 2 TO RUN WITHOUT ALL THIS STEAM BULLSHIT.

ahem, this thread is walking a fine line.. I dont see consoles "killing" anything anytime soon, IBL.

Nothings killing anything. There console gaming and computer gaming. If things are going well they just leave each other be. But things are not going well when people make pointless threads like this!

altec said:
Nothings killing anything. There console gaming and computer gaming. If things are going well they just leave each other be. But things are not going well when people make pointless threads like this!

I was asking if this was a trend worldwide as I've been out of the loop for so long. Thanks so much for your constructive input, you've been extremely helpful.

Let me rephrase my original question to prevent any more pedantic responses - are people in other countries seeing less shelf space in game stores devoted to PC games than before? I was under the assumption that markets were driven by demand, therefore, when I saw less PC games on the shelves, I thought perhaps PC games weren't selling as well as during my last visit abroad.

I could care less if PC gaming dies. As it is its to damn expensive for what you get. I like the games but I wouldn't shed a tear if they ported over to consoles.

Eyeball Kid said:
I live in Barbados, which is pretty much a vacuum for ANYTHING tech related. I just went home to Ireland on a holiday and couldn't believe the shelf space dedicated to PC games - there was nothing!!!! I was barely able to pick up a copy of GTA:SA, nobody was stocking it. I'd say there was about 50% PS2, 45% XBOX, and 5% PC. Is this a trend around the world too? Having said that, I'm finding the idea of XBox 360 quite attractive at this point - it's just getting too spendy to keep my PC up to date anymore.

Its cause people bought ALL the PC games since PC gaming is soooo popular
:cool:

Console gaming sales just kill pc, there is no denying that really... but pc has/used to influence consoles. That said. every place I've been to that has sold console and PC games the PC aisle has been much bigger, probably because they don't sell half as many games.

I'm the Dude said:
I can tell you here in the midwest USA, Ohio, there are tons of PC games to be had in the big chains.

No kidding, if anything, Wal Mart's increased the shelf space for PC Games in their newer stores. Gamestop's the tards that treat PC Games like chopped liver. Sadly, Wal Mart is my game store of choice (I won't spend a dime with those fuckers at Best Buy, long story, and don't get me started on Circuit City). We have five fucking Gamestop's and an EB in this sorry assed town and not a one of them have more than a freestanding rack of PC games.

Beat's dead horse...

PC games will always be around, there will be more console games, because there is more money in that..

End of discussion for the 1000 time

It depends. I perfer to play racing games on console, and shooters, flight sims, and anything non-racing, non Katamari on PC. Then again, I'm going to be getting an uber computer soon, so that may actually change.

Back