• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Console's audio routed through computer?

A Shiny Demon

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 18, 2006
Messages
249
I have a 5.1 setup by running my card's analog outputs directly into amplifiers and out through speakers -- no special receivers or anything. I currently use my motherboard's onboard sound but will be upgrading to a good sound card soon (what I'm picking will be determined later, or possibly by the answers I get here). If I hook console(s) up to my card, will I get surround sound? I will most likely have a PS2 and maybe a Wii. I know the PS2 has an optical digital output as well as its stereo analog RCA plugs. What can I expect?
 
Interesting, to be honest I don't know. I know some cards like the creative xfi have an optical in, but I don't know can they just pass sound through to the analogue outs. My guess would be no. Someone with more expertise might be able to answer better!!
 
To be blunt, no. It's hard enough to get it working with a sound card, but the major barrier is that the handful of PS2 games that support Dolby Digital 5.1/DTS generally only do so for cutscenes and other special times rather than actual gameplay periods. The Wii doesn't do digital sound at all. There's probably a handful of cards that support Dolby Pro Logic II but I don't think that'd work over analog for the Wii anyway.
 
I know my X-Fi Elite took multichannel input from a digital TV decoder box just fine via optical. I don't know about delay or anything special. But, with all those source devices, it might be wiser to look into an inexpensive receiver anyway to act as only an audio hub and decoder.
 
I currently have my X-Box 360 connected to the 'Optical In' on my X-Fi and feeding the sound out to my headphones (running CMS3D). You just have to make sure you tell the X-Fi software to except the digital input and it picks up the Dobly signal from the console. You can then either have the sound processed by the cards onboard decoder or just feed it back out to an external decoder.

I did have a similar system for my PS2 a while back without any problems as well, though as others have said there isn't a lot of Dobly signals in PS2 games, but it is useful when using headphones as you only need one receiver as it were for consoles and the ol' PC.

If you do this though, be careful of the sound inputs strength. I found I had to set a games volume at a low level and control the main volume on the PC else I would get a horrible amount of feedback or an overloaded signal from the game (Mass Effect has some very heavy bass in places).
 
Back
Top