Console owners what TVs do you own?

Panasonic st60
No led comes close. Plasma is amazing.

Yeah, plasma is great for blacks but it's a dying technology and won't be available much longer. Let's just hope that manufacturers keep shrinking the LED clusters (for backlit-array) down to the point where they can eliminate the bleed.

Got my ps4 hooked up to a projector. 106" @ 8ft for first row of seats. Works well and I don't have to squint to see minor details. Using Sony HW50 for the projector and a light grey screen so ambient light doesn't wash out everything.

In the past I had my 360 hooked up to my 65" LG lcd tv, and before that a 52", but I prefer to have the dedicated gaming/movie windowless media room instead of trying to clutter my living room with more electronics.

Projector is lcos and tvs have always been lcd. I haven't touched plasma. Burn in scares me too much. I'm sure it's better than it used to be but I would be worried about any games with a fixed status bar/hud.

My advice is go as big as possible and make sure it does vibrant colors. Great contrast /black levels are great but not as necessary because if you do any competitive gaming you are going to want to blow up the gamma so it's going to look washed out/banded anyhow. My projector has very good contrast, and black levels but I disable a lot of it during gaming. Disable the iris, bump the lamp to high if I'm playing with the lights on. For movie watching I have different calibrated high contrast modes.

Got my ps4 hooked up to a projector. 106" @ 8ft for first row of seats. Works well and I don't have to squint to see minor details. Using Sony HW50 for the projector and a light grey screen so ambient light doesn't wash out everything.

In the past I had my 360 hooked up to my 65" LG lcd tv, and before that a 52", but I prefer to have the dedicated gaming/movie windowless media room instead of trying to clutter my living room with more electronics.

Projector is lcos and tvs have always been lcd. I haven't touched plasma. Burn in scares me too much. I'm sure it's better than it used to be but I would be worried about any games with a fixed status bar/hud.

My advice is go as big as possible and make sure it does vibrant colors. Great contrast /black levels are great but not as necessary because if you do any competitive gaming you are going to want to blow up the gamma so it's going to look washed out/banded anyhow. My projector has very good contrast, and black levels but I disable a lot of it during gaming. Disable the iris, bump the lamp to high if I'm playing with the lights on. For movie watching I have different calibrated high contrast modes.

Nice projector, LCOS is supposed to be excellent. I have an Epson 8350, it is good, and in a light controlled basement like mine I love it, but I have heard that LCOS kicks ass.

I'm not a big spender.

I have a Sanyo 55" LCD 120Hz. I play Single player games/RPGs/Blu Rays on this. Paid 718.00+tax for it about 2 years ago...cheapest LCD I could find at a brick and mortar and didn't want to wait for black friday deals!!

I also have a DLP Projector < (old tech I know) Acer 5360 720p 60Hz/Nvidia 3D vision for PC Oblivion/Skyrim/Batman/Crysis games and for FPS twitch gaming BF3/TF2/CSS etc. run it @ 720p/120Hz 108-110 inch or so. Paid 499.99+10% off Newegg code for it about 3 years ago. I have this hooked up to my old ass (6-7 year old logitech Z 5.1's) excellent audio system. I just watched Alfred Hitchcocks Psycho in Nvidia 3D vision @ 720p in B&W and it was really great. That's the good thing about this setup, it runs any 2D movie in 3D and I believe the Nvidia 3D vision is the best 3D on the market, and it is high customization with depth color etc. and if a movie seems to dark I just raise the contrast/gamma/brightness etc. in Nvidia panel. Blade Runner was spectacular in 3D as well. These are movies that don't have a 3D Blu-Ray for sale, so it's fun checking them out in this way for myself.

In the future I'm thinking of something like the Seiki 65" 4k for 1799.99 on Amazon currently, and an LCD/Lcos/3LCD 3D/1080p projector. Maybe a Sony brand projector because DLP projectors and TV sets have a less sharp picture. Sony is really holding 4k growth imho though. I'm not happy about it...where's some native 4k blu rays sony?? Oh well I'll just be happy with my cheap electronics until Sony figures out a way to get 4k content to us. That is the next big jump as I see it, and honestly I would only have to watch about 50 or so classic movies in 4k then a few newer ones then be bored lmao. I'm happy with what I have currently, but why not just put out 4k Blu Rays Sony unless you're controlling the market or just want to milk us to double dip. Ughhhhhhhhh..Hmmm I'm gonna have to watch The Goonies in 3D soon...hee hee

It's a complete gimmick that serves literally no purpose.

Some people really don't understand what 3d is.

It's not that bad, it doesn't have the layer of depth that Avatar has but depending on the movie there's very nice constant transitions from foreground to background in depth perception. It also helps when the screen is 100+ inch so it swallows your forward vision.

Someone like s Ridley Scott (Blade Runner,Legend, Alien,Gladiator) or Wachowiski Brothers (the Matrix, Speed Racer, Cloud Atlas) films looks great on it imho. Makes old school animation more fun to watch also.

You can hate on it I don't care lmao.

I haven't tried the 2D-to-3D conversion on my TV yet, but 3D Blu-rays and PC games look amazing. Prometheus and Star Trek: Into Darkness are both winners in my book, and seeing Tomb Raider in 3D Vision made me play through the game for a fourth time. I can see how some people would consider it a gimmick, but I like having the option for consumers who enjoy it. It really changed the way I look at video games, at least.

It's not that bad, it doesn't have the layer of depth that Avatar has but depending on the movie there's very nice constant transitions from foreground to background in depth perception. It also helps when the screen is 100+ inch so it swallows your forward vision.

Someone like s Ridley Scott (Blade Runner,Legend, Alien,Gladiator) or Wachowiski Brothers (the Matrix, Speed Racer, Cloud Atlas) films looks great on it imho. Makes old school animation more fun to watch also.

You can hate on it I don't care lmao.

It creates a pop up book, plain and simple.

How does that emulate the natural world?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am now the happy owner of a Vizio E390 tv, and love it! :)

I don't know .. I got a 42" Dynex something something LED TV for $25 off of Craigslist .. :(

when i game in my living room, an old dinosaur of a tube tv (sony 36xs955). It still has a great picture and can do old consoles justice! about the only negatives are its behemoth size and weight (232 lbs ).

Bedroom i did have a sony 34inch widescreen tube tv, but two chips went out on it. so im using my pc monitor for xbox/ps3 since it accepts hdmi!

I really wish I had picked up an old CRT trinitron when they were still popping up at Goodwill. My wife would have killed me but old console games really look best on the old beasts.

I really wish I had picked up an old CRT trinitron when they were still popping up at Goodwill. My wife would have killed me but old console games really look best on the old beasts.

I had a Sony 33" .. man .. that thing weighed about 6 hundred pounds

I had a 36" Sony Trinitron back in the day and it took 3-4 fairly strong people to move that thing. It had to have been 250 lbs. Plus, all of the weight was in the front and it had very few places to grip.
At the same time, the picture was phenomenal.

Panasonic 46" plasma TH46PZ85U
Samsung SlimFit 30" CRT HDTV TX-S3082WH

Panasonic 46" plasma TH46PZ85U
Samsung SlimFit 30" CRT HDTV TX-S3082WH

I just "upgraded" from a 50PZ85U to this new Sammy F8000.

The PZ85U is an excellent Plasma TV.

Honestly, If I could have gotten my exact same TV in a 65" with a tighter bezel I would have just done that.

I still have my 50PZ85U in another room, I hope it lasts a long time.

Back