Console into Nortel 350-24t problems.

Karandras

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Feb 16, 2001
Messages
1,873
Hey all, me still. Still having issues logging into this switch. I've got me the RS232 DB9f-DB9f null modem cable. Tried every combo within hyper terminal and people have been saying to use ctrl-t and y to get the console port to "wake up". I've pretty much mashed the kayboard trying to get access.

My biggest question is: Is there a way to reset this to factory defaults without access to the switch itself? I opened it hoping for a jumper or anything that I can trigger to do that, but nothing :(

2nd querstion, is there a way to search for a device by it's MAC address to find it's IP address?

Any help would be awesome, this thing is running like it is a 10baseT swtich and my transfers through it are painfully slow and want to reset it.

Thanks for anything!!
 
The console settings are 9600 baud, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, flow control: none. Then press Ctrl + C to get the menu brought up. This might help you out too. :)

I have a 350T myself and it was... fun to setup. Good luck with your switch.
 
Karandras69 said:
2nd querstion, is there a way to search for a device by it's MAC address to find it's IP address?

You don't need to.
Give your PC the MAC address and tell it (the PC) what IP you want it to be.

http://www.computerhope.com/arphlp.htm#03

You just need to be connected on the same physical network (I normally just use a cross over cable) and then type something like:
arp -s 10.0.0.2 00-00-00-AA-BB-CC

The ARP command, -s for static assignment, the IP you want to be able to access it via and the MAC address of the switch.
 
I have the exact same Switch. And the above Settings are correct. Sometimes with Nortel Switches. You have to Dial into the switch and then Reset the Power to get the terminal up. I don't know why it does that but I've found that problem with the all the Baystack switches. It's happened to me in both Hyperterminal and Secure CRT.

In another question regarding this Switch. I want to ask those who have them if you think this is legit for a 400-4TX 4port MDA. I believe this is what I need to hook up a run of the mill Internet Router. I have a WRV54G Wireless LinkSys Router and Linksys says I need an uplink port to connect a switch to that particular router.
400-4TX 4 Port MDA

Am I correct in assuming that this MDA will work?

And Do you think this card is legit? I've seen this card @ other suppliers for around 400$
 
Mindriot said:
In another question regarding this Switch. I want to ask those who have them if you think this is legit for a 400-4TX 4port MDA. I believe this is what I need to hook up a run of the mill Internet Router. I have a WRV54G Wireless LinkSys Router and Linksys says I need an uplink port to connect a switch to that particular router.
400-4TX 4 Port MDA

Am I correct in assuming that this MDA will work?

And Do you think this card is legit? I've seen this card @ other suppliers for around 400$

I have a BayStack 350T-HD & 350F-HD.

That card you linked to looks like all it does is add 4 extra ports to your switch, Im not sure why you would need that to connect to a router.

All an uplink port is(from my knowldege) is a port that does not crossover the transmit and receive pins and a regular port does, thus makeing it like you had a crossover cable connected to the port.

So all you need a a crossover cable and it will work exactly the same as if you had an uplink port.
 
Gah, that doesn't work. :( I was hoping to staticly assign an IP to the MAC of the switch then tel net to it. Can't even ping it...Argh. I tried to do the dialup connection as well, no go :( (direct connection) There is a 350-24t at work that no one uses, I'm going to bring the cable to see if it even works at all with these switches.
 
OMG I'm a tard. The cable I had was a null modem cable. I think everyone was telling me that this switch requires a straight through cable. Me = Smrt. Get a straight through cable, works like a charm. Reset the switch to fac defaults and once again I'm up to a 100MBit connection...w00p w00p. yay for me and my big brains!

:D :D Thanks all! :D :D
 
Back
Top