Consistent permissions errors with ReFS that aren't present in NTFS on external drive

I picked up a WD 8TB external that was in the hot deals section a couple weeks ago, and formatted it as ReFS instead of NTFS. All I use the drive for is a backup target for Veeam backups in my network, and it hosts a copy of my data drive (230 GB of data).

While I have no issue with the internal data drive being formatted as ReFS, the backups folder that is shared from that external drive will work, then within a day, will be no longer available on the network. The server can still read it, but clients can not.

It has Everyone R/W share permissions set, which is typically enough, but I've tried going in through the security area and specifically giving my users and user groups full permission to access it. Still, it had problems. I'd delete and recreate the share, and it would work again for a while, before failing again.

Saturday, I gave up, and formatted it as NTFS, and recopied the data to it. The problems went away. I can still access the shares a day later, after a couple backups have been run (manually + scheduled).

Is there an issue with ReFS on externals that I'm not aware of? I don't have the problem on internal storage, but I can't find anything online about other people having similar errors.

Back