Considering vapochill... give me some info

ChaseJ86

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 11, 2003
Messages
320
My room gets extremely hot even with the AC on and it takes a big effect on my computers temps, even though I'm on water, I would like to step up to vapochilling my computer.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/ex-vap-01.html
I was thinking something like this. What do you think? Anything better than this? I'd like to try to keep the price around $1,000 or less.

When I upgrade to the 939 socket when its released, how easy is it to attach an adapter so it can cool it?
 
Thanks, did some research on it and will order it when I get my money together.

From what I read on other forums, you can only cool your cpu and nothing else (NB, gpu...) with this setup?
 
i have a vapochill and i like it, i should have went for the lian li mach 1 for the same price now, but i got free shipping which saved me some time and money.
 
Originally posted by chuckm1020
but koolance is watercooling, just not the best one, but still good.

no, its not. koolance is a poor representation of what watercooling can be. get thyself a peltier WC system and save save SAVE!
 
why do u go around to every post and rag on the koolance, i dont care if u dont like it, just go take your dissing somewhere else please
 
Originally posted by chuckm1020
why do u go around to every post and rag on the koolance, i dont care if u dont like it, just go take your dissing somewhere else please

im offering an alternative to spending $600...your problem is koolance isnt meeting your needs, im offering a way to get much better performance at huge savings. if you want to go drop that 600 on a vapochill because your processor is a little too hot then go ahead.
 
what site did you find this on i would like to look at it.
 
I picked the Mach II over all others. The number one reason is, like said above, its the best pre-made CPU cooler you can get. Other factors for me were, I liked the seperate unit under the case. It allows me to use whichever case I want. I dont like how the Vapo's run off of your PSU, or where the PSU is at on their case.

I also like how it installs better, the LCD, and the software it comes with to control it. You can set either fan from 700'ish RPM all the way to 2500+rpm. Lower of course is a little warmer, but virtually silent. Running both fans full blast is very loud, but coolers better too. There is about a 10c difference from the two settings. And you can customize what speed you want anywhere inbetween.

The only Vapo that comes close, is the XE. Its about on par with the first Prommy. The Mach II though is much cooler under load.

Older pic of my setup;
26.JPG


And my normal operating speed.
3900-2.JPG


Can go higher, but I have to lower my ram to 5:4, and raise my CPU volts. Im happy with 3.9gig.. for now.
 
wat kind of temps does the $650 vapochill get, that mach 2 is starting to get out of the price range:D
 
When looking to buy a phase-change unit, I didn't have $1,000. So I built my own for about $200. If you don't want to do that, I would seriously consider this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3464844924

These custom systems are tremendously more powerful than a Mach 2, for much less money. The only downside is that your computer becomes much less portable, because this is a standalone box that sits outside your case.

With the custom system, you could actually get temperatures as low as the -47 that fallguy's readout shows. A mach 2 unmodded does not actually produce temps that low, their probes are known to be a bit "optimistic." :)
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The probe is a bit off the head of it. 200w dissipation is nice though.

True user made ones get better temps, I just didnt want one. They are not built near as neatly, usually not as moveable, take a lot more knowledge to do right, and have more of a risk to do damage to your PC because of parts not being designed for it.

Nice site about how to make your own, and pre-made units; http://www.phase-change.com/phpBB2/index.php

Some really nice custom units there, and a nice guide on how to do it.
 
when you consider buying the vapo pe, se or xe take into account the fact that you are going to have to have a badass power supply to run that SOB. the one that is currently recommended by most OCers (including me) that have a vapo is the Enermax 550w EG651P-VE(FMA) that has a 12v rail packing 36A. that tacks another $142 onto the vapo's pricetag after shipping.

if you go with another option, make sure it has at least 500w with 24a on the 12v rail and adjustable 5 & 12v rails.

vapo's will vampire the hell out of your 12v rail - a lot of them will suck it down below 11.85v if the PSU doesn't have enough kick.

I tried one with an enermax 431 for the hell of it - the vapo toasted it. RiStar from VRZone told me he had the same experience - tried the 431 and the vapo ate it for lunch.

they finally took the compressor off the PSU with the new vapo lightspeed.
 
i do have an antec truecontrol 550watt, that does allow me to adjust the rails, do u think thats good enough for the vapo?
 
Back
Top