Considering upgrading my video card

Lukas06

n00b
I have a R9 390 that I bought two years ago. I have been thinking about buying a new card. I game at 2560 x 1080 (a bit weird resolution I know, but that is the monitor I have). My frame rates have been fine for me until I bought AC:O and FarCry 5. AC:O is in the 20-30 fps range and is not enjoyable. I would consider going up to the $600-$700 price range. I am thinking Vega 56. So my question is, what would you do? I will admit I haven't even considered or kept up with the whole video card scene for a while because I knew the prices were ridiculous. Should I wait a while, buy a Vega 56, or buy some other card in my price range? Thanks for any input you all share.

I'd look into a GTX 1070ti which should be similar to the Vega 56 but can probably be easier to find in stock at less inflated prices; but do check on it. If you really need a card now that is what I would do. Otherwise consider waiting 4-6 months for Nvidia's next generation of cards. With GPU generations lasting longer I'd rather buy in when it is new so you have a current card for the next 18-24 months. Right now we're on the tail end of Nvidia's current generation.

No idea what AMD plans to do post Vega.

Meh Pascal won't be outdated even when Ampere drops.

There is quite a few Vegas in Marietta GA microcenter store FYI.

Thanks flogger23m. You steered me in a better direction. I ordered a Strix 1070ti and it should be here today. I ended up spending $150 less than I was willing to. Plus I saw the review here on [H] and it seems like I made a good decision.

Got home from work with it waiting at the door for me. Plugged that bad boy in and got the OC to over 2G and the RAM up to 9G. I knew there'd be a big difference, but I am floored!!! Sweet card!!!

Glad I found this thread was going to ask the same question as one of my 390's just died and the other just isn't up to the task of 1440 on its own.

Yea, the 1070 Ti should be anywhere from 60-80% faster than your old R9 390 (on avg).

Enjoy!

So what should I do with my now old STRIX R390? The card is fine. I just wanted an upgrade. Is it worth trying to sell it, or is it considered too old to bother selling? I have no use for it so if it is tech that is too old, I will just bring it to the recycling center.

So what should I do with my now old STRIX R390? The card is fine. I just wanted an upgrade. Is it worth trying to sell it, or is it considered too old to bother selling? I have no use for it so if it is tech that is too old, I will just bring it to the recycling center.

That card is worthless. You can give it to me and I will give it a good home, hell I'll even pay shipping to depose of that ancient relic for you. ;)

Sell for sure, 390x is still a plenty capable card, especially for 1080p. It’s a bit power hungry but most gamers don’t really care a whole lot about that, even the ones that pretend they do.

I listed it on ebay if anyone is interested. 5 days left on the auction. 1 bid so far.

Glad I found this thread was going to ask the same question as one of my 390's just died and the other just isn't up to the task of 1440 on its own.

A big deciding factor can be freesync vs gsync too if the monitor is capable of either.

Sell for sure, 390x is still a plenty capable card, especially for 1080p. It’s a bit power hungry but most gamers don’t really care a whole lot about that, even the ones that pretend they do.

Other than the massive FPS improvements, the other thing I noticed is how much cooler this card runs. Never over 51 degrees so far. The 390 was a space heater, and I customized the fan profile to keep it in the 60s. Didn't realize how loud it was until I got the new card and thought something was wrong due to the silence.

I mean, if you're not sticking to high settings on AAA titles, I would wait until the new release of gpus

Back