considering upgrade

ellover009

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 17, 2005
Messages
1,911
I have an asus p4p800deluxe, p4 2.8 800bus HT, 120gb hd, 512 ram, Geforce 4 ti4200, Antec 430w power supply
2 options I can get new card and ram or build a new rig problems arise
I went to best buy i found a 6800gt o/c for $350 and a 7800gt for $400 not too much price difference knowing 7800 gt will violate the 6800gt
I would like to keep agp 8x but It seems that the video cards for it have not gotten any cheaper compared to their pci counterparts equal or higher at cheaper price.

option 1 x850xt pe or 6800gt o/c or ultra (shader 3.0 but sucks a lotta juice) I dunno wich to choose or get a mid end of new ati cards + 1gb ram
option 2 rebuild AMD x-2 3800 1gb ram, 7800gtx o/c
I would like ur sugestion so far i like option 1 since is most affortable and my rig is not that outdated. Plz recommend wich card x850xt pe, 6800 gt o/c, 6800 ultra, or new ati line somewhere in mid end power. Thanks for all replies
 
Option 2, agp will not last much longer, games will be more demanding and you will have to upgrade anyway, might as well do it now :D

PS: I dont think ATI will be making AGP in the R520 :( could be wrong though.
 
lee63 said:
Option 2, agp will not last much longer, games will be more demanding and you will have to upgrade anyway, might as well do it now :D

PS: I dont think ATI will be making AGP in the R520 :( could be wrong though.

I agree.
And I REALLY doubt that they will be making any more models with the AGP bus.
 
I tend to be more pragmatic with equipment and money. You already possess the foundation for a solid mid-range system. AGP is not dead yet and will still be viable for at least year with respect to the demands of gaming software.

Start looking for a used 6800GT or x850xt. You should be able to find them in the mid two hundred dollar range as many jump on the 7800gtx bandwagon.

Since your motherboard supports dual channel memory configuration, I would assume you have two 256 MB modules. If this is the case, obtain two additional 512 MB modules to assist with overall system performance.

If you are not doing so already, try overclocking your processor. Using the stock heatsink, you should be able to get an addtional 200Mhz from it with good case ventilation. If you get a Thermalright XP-90, you should be able to get more than that.

Maximize what you have and think about changing to AMD's new socket in 2006.
 
Yea , M2 coming out in 06, but that dual core looks pretty sweet!!!!!!!!!! :D I want one my self but I cant justify buying one now when I have an FX-55, mabey next year when the X2 5000 or 5200 comes out," its never ending" :rolleyes:
 
so i could get decent performance outta my 2.8. at my job my boss told me to bring my rig hes gonna retire a machine and hes gonna have the tech get me some of the parts for my rig, maybe Ram, or processor ( i think 3.0 but not woth ripping my old one off i suppose over 200mhz)
 
Back
Top