Considering Purchase of MacBook Pro

Zekenstein

n00b
I was thinking of getting one of thsoe 15" MacBook Pro's with the 2.16 Duo in it. My question is this, up until this time in history I've always been a loyal PC user, and I will continue to use PC desktops, however all PC laptop owners I know experience MAJOR performance hits after a short period of time and also experience the most technical difficulties. besides that, the Mac has many great features including that camera dealy. My question is, if I have a PC and I'm using the laptop for school i.e. taking notes and stuff and I want to copy information, mostly word documents between the two am I going to encounter difficulties or will the data transfer easily between the two? Also, availiability of new games for macs, good or bad compared to PC?

Nope, from within OS X, turn on Windows file sharing (Sharing panel in System Preferences) and hook your MBP up to the PC via wireless or Ethernet (Ethernet recommended).

Just surf around in "My network Places" and find your MBP, and it'll open up to your OS X "Home" folder. Full access.

Microsoft Office is "better" under OS X than XP IMO.

Games are a no-go under OS X, but install XP and bootcamp and you can play even oblivion at native res. You can even overclock the included GPU and run with Bloom + 2x AA

ok, now, the HDD in the Macbook is going to come pre-formated with Mac OS X installed correct? So how would I also install XP? Would I need to reformat or just modify the partition or can is it an XP emulator you install within Mac OS X?

Zekenstein said:
ok, now, the HDD in the Macbook is going to come pre-formated with Mac OS X installed correct? So how would I also install XP? Would I need to reformat or just modify the partition or can is it an XP emulator you install within Mac OS X?

You will download and install the bootcamp software from apple - it will partition the disk for you and then let you install windows on the second partition.

Photoshop is an AWESOME game :D. ESPECIALLY under Rosetta :rolleyes:

Yeah bootcamp automatically re-partitions the disk to any % you like (I have 15gb for windows and 45 for os X). This is a non-destructive partition, which shouldn't destroy your data (backup anything if you need it).

Then install XP.

PS Skype's new Beta allows for webcam between Mac and XP contacts, it's absolutuly FLAWLESS (even behind 2 NAT's) with the built in iSight.

Arcygenical said:
PS Skype's new Beta allows for webcam between Mac and XP contacts, it's absolutuly FLAWLESS (even behind 2 NAT's) with the built in iSight.

Werd.

Back