• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Considering installing Windows XP 64bit..

Shock_Hunter

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 17, 2001
Messages
181
But I have questions, a64 is currently overclocked at 2500mhz for everyday running. Now im guessing running in 64bit will increase the temp so will my a64 work at this speed with xp64 ? also is there any good system monitoring software (temps etc.) I can download which will work in xp64 or will 32bit programs work in it also?? :confused:
 
I have the same OCing power as before I switched, Everest,speedfan both work on Windows x64....The only problem I have ran into with windows x64 is Alcohol 120% does not work which cuts down on my warez :(
 
Shock_Hunter said:
Cool, so some 32bit software works fine in xp64?
Many will, most apps that are considered "system tools" may need updates (I'm using a broad paintbrush here), check the vendor for details.
 
Well I got it installed, dual booting with xp32. So do most games (32bit) work in xp64 or do I need the 64bit versions?
 
Most games work (and in theory, all 32-bit games that ran in Win XP will run in x64 Pro).

16 bit games and DOS will not work, it pops up a msg box saying: Dude, why do you have this, it's old. Throw it away, it's not worthy of being in stalled on me, but it should work on another machine fine....just not this one.

ok, bad joke ^. It pops up a message saying that it won't work, not meant for this machine or something like it.

Starcraft works! yay!
 
So far XP64 is being a piece of crap on my machine. Seriously its slower, than XP 32 and has alot more problems.

Its slow on the machine in my sig. :eek: IE and some other stuff is faster, but even browsing a CD to install something is slower. I can't figure out why.

Plus the Storage Snap-In in the Microsoft MMC is being a piece of shit. Damn thing literally will not run. Not to mention during setup, I can't install the NV RAID driver as the bastard will lock up. It works fine on the drives by themselves, but not in RAID mode.

I seriously hate this thing. I'll see if I can smooth things out, if I can't I am ripping this piece of shit off the machine and going back to XP 32.
 
EnderW said:
why not dual boot?

I think you get a free option to upgrade to xp64 but to do this you have to "trade" your xp32 licence away some people might not have a copy of xp32 to dual boot with if they upgrade that way. :p
 
XP 64 requires that you install it fresh. You can't do an upgrade installation. For those who participated in the Microsoft XP x64 upgrade program, your license for Windows XP 32bit are revoked and replaced with an XP x64 Edition license.
 
It runs perfect for me (Except the alcohol 120% issuse I mentioned earlier) I have no slowdown whatsoever, I love x64 :D
 
Shock_Hunter said:
I think you get a free option to upgrade to xp64 but to do this you have to "trade" your xp32 licence away some people might not have a copy of xp32 to dual boot with if they upgrade that way. :p

Sir-Fragalot said:
XP 64 requires that you install it fresh. You can't do an upgrade installation. For those who participated in the Microsoft XP x64 upgrade program, your license for Windows XP 32bit are revoked and replaced with an XP x64 Edition license.

But can't you download a trial version here for free?

120 days should be enough to know if you want to switch.
 
Well the trial version would be a good idea for ppl who can't obtain the full version of x64 without giving up there xp32 licence. :)
 
Shock_Hunter said:
But I have questions, a64 is currently overclocked at 2500mhz for everyday running. Now im guessing running in 64bit will increase the temp so will my a64 work at this speed with xp64 ? also is there any good system monitoring software (temps etc.) I can download which will work in xp64 or will 32bit programs work in it also?? :confused:

I thought my original overclock of 2.5ghz was stable until I tried 64bit XP - I had to take it down a "notch" to 2.4ghz. Just a heads up if you think your overclock was pushing it and you experience odd issues during your 64bit install
 
Well I tried some newer beta NForce 64bit drivers. They are working GREAT. The system is faster, and so far perfectly stable. Of course I am running at stock speeds. However, I am very pleased with the new results. I have resolved all the issues I was having.

So far my games have worked just fine. So is my SLi setup.

As to the license thing, you can get Windows XP x64 Edition OEM. Thats the only way to do it, but you can do so without giving up your 32bit license if you simply just obtain the OEM version at full price. The switchout of the 32bit license if for the free upgrade license that Microsoft provides on thier site.

Personally I like Windows XP x64 now that its working properly.

I own an NFR copy of Windows XP Professional, Windows Server Enterprise 2003 and Windows XP x64 Edition. I may have a OEM XP Home Edition floating around somewhere as well.

I am dying to try the Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition also.
 
Back
Top