Considering Going Smaller

suiken_2mieu

2[H]4U
So I have 5 30" monitors in portrait that I game on using a single 5870 (see rest of rig in sig). 8000x2560 is a rather large and obnoxious and albeit awesome resolution, hard to maintain, much less launch a game on.

The 5000 series cards are capped at 8192x8192 resolution, where by if I use any amount AA the game can render anything and crashes. Since I can figure out how to completely disable AA, I've been using SoftTH to do so, but, SoftTH creates overhead and a lose a little more performance. It also keeps me gaming at DirectX9. In which I like a lot of the capabilities and advancements in Direct10/11 sooo this is not optimal for me.

So, I decided I needed a new GPU. But I needed a GPU with at least 5 outputs that could run Dual-Link Resolutions (I.E. Lots of Displayports and or DL-DVI Ports). I looked at the 7970 Direct CUII Card, it has heat issues and I have crappy airflow in my case. The I looked at the MSI R7970 Lightning, It has 6 outputs, but the two DVI are single-link. So that blows the two contenders that are currently available out of the water.
There's the 6990, but it has Crossfire Issues and all those cards cost about the same. Then just getting another 5870 wouldn't matter because I have to use SofTH on the 5000 series platform.

So Tl,Dr: I'm running into issues and probably need to replace my monitors with something lower resolution and use some of the money from selling my monitors to upgrade my gpu as well.

I feel there are pretty much two routes:
  • Sell a 3007wfp and upgrade it to a 3008wfp or u3011 and run 6000x1920 with it scaled on everything.
  • Sell all but 1 30" (for movies, single monitor games, etc) and buy 5 new monitors.

Now it'll cost more money to upgrade one of my 30"rs, but I really like the size of my display, and I fear for horizontal scrolling on a smaller display (I already have to do that on some websites). Also, I feel nothing beats the clarity of 2560x1600. But I also know how 1680x1050 looks on these displays, and it looks like shit. Eyefinity for some reason, wont let me run 1920x1200 on all the displays unless I have one that that's its "native" resolution. Using a 30" with a scaler and a single link connection will let me unlock the resolution. I could also use it for my xbox.

Do you guys have any Ideas on what I should do?

EDIT: Also do you have any monitor recommendations?
I prefer: Wide Gamut, 1920x1200+, 24"+, DisplayPort
I'd like: Component, Composite, VGA

EDIT2: Also, If there's anyone who's used a 30" and gone back to something smaller, I'd like to know you're experience.

Last edited:
The easy solution is an aftermarket cooler for the 7970 DirectCU II.. or a new case with better air cooling.. or watercooling for it. :)

I personally wouldn't downgrade the monitors, now you've made the effort to get there. There's always the option of going back to 3x1P for gaming.

I think I'd only change them if:

- You swap to 5 screens with A-TW polarisers (2490wuxi, LP2480zx, W2420R)
- QuadHD screens come out - although admittedly it'd compound the GPU issue

I game at 6000x1920 from an Asus 6950 DirectCU II and have only really had to fiddle the default settings downwards in Crysis 2 so far..

I would sell 2 of your 30" monitors and use the funds to buy 2 GTX 680's or 7970's and run 3 30" monitors in portrait eyefinity/nvidia surround.

5 30" monitors is pretty insane but then again this is [H]ardforum.

I'm with wagoo and say go for the 7970 DirectCU II, and than add a $5 120mm fan and zip tie it so it's pointing at the video card; aftermarket or watercool if you are really concerned. You have to remember, these cards are designed to run "hot" so 70-80 degrees celcius is still OK. Keep the screens.

Seems like a good plan, I guess I just got overly concerned with the DirctCUII models. Just seeing people have to under clock from the factory overclock it was designed for seems, well meh. Paying $600 bucks is kinda bogus for that.

So I have 5 30" monitors in portrait that I game on using a single 5870 (see rest of rig in sig). 8000x2560 is a rather large and obnoxious and albeit awesome resolution, hard to maintain, much less launch a game on.

The 5000 series cards are capped at 8192x8192 resolution, where by if I use any amount AA the game can render anything and crashes. Since I can figure out how to completely disable AA, I've been using SoftTH to do so, but, SoftTH creates overhead and a lose a little more performance. It also keeps me gaming at DirectX9. In which I like a lot of the capabilities and advancements in Direct10/11 sooo this is not optimal for me.

So, I decided I needed a new GPU. But I needed a GPU with at least 5 outputs that could run Dual-Link Resolutions (I.E. Lots of Displayports and or DL-DVI Ports). I looked at the 7970 Direct CUII Card, it has heat issues and I have crappy airflow in my case. The I looked at the MSI R7970 Lightning, It has 6 outputs, but the two DVI are single-link. So that blows the two contenders that are currently available out of the water.
There's the 6990, but it has Crossfire Issues and all those cards cost about the same. Then just getting another 5870 wouldn't matter because I have to use SofTH on the 5000 series platform.

So Tl,Dr: I'm running into issues and probably need to replace my monitors with something lower resolution and use some of the money from selling my monitors to upgrade my gpu as well.

I feel there are pretty much two routes:
  • Sell a 3007wfp and upgrade it to a 3008wfp or u3011 and run 6000x1920 with it scaled on everything.
  • Sell all but 1 30" (for movies, single monitor games, etc) and buy 5 new monitors.

Now it'll cost more money to upgrade one of my 30"rs, but I really like the size of my display, and I fear for horizontal scrolling on a smaller display (I already have to do that on some websites). Also, I feel nothing beats the clarity of 2560x1600. But I also know how 1680x1050 looks on these displays, and it looks like shit. Eyefinity for some reason, wont let me run 1920x1200 on all the displays unless I have one that that's its "native" resolution. Using a 30" with a scaler and a single link connection will let me unlock the resolution. I could also use it for my xbox.

Do you guys have any Ideas on what I should do?

EDIT: Also do you have any monitor recommendations?
I prefer: Wide Gamut, 1920x1200+, 24"+, DisplayPort
I'd like: Component, Composite, VGA

EDIT2: Also, If there's anyone who's used a 30" and gone back to something smaller, I'd like to know you're experience.

Once you've flown business class or better, it isn't going to be any fun walking through business to get to your seat in coach...

I'm sure, at the bare minimum, you could rig up some ghetto fabulous solution to any heat problems. Keep the screens

If you can afford 5 30's you can afford a decent case with good airflow.

oh and lol @tldr. It's customary to make that section shorter.

Back