Considering buying a new card??

antipunt1

Limp Gawd
Hi Hardforum
:)

Just stopping by; I always come here for computer related questions when the time comes around. Recently, I've been thinking of updating my graphics card, and was wondering what people were thinking.

The idea spawned when I was playing Watch Dogs (and a few other games) and realized that I couldn't play games on high (or debately even 'medium', depending on the game) settings anymore. I wondered if it was because my GPU is out of date. My card is the Radeon HD 6870 and my other specs are in my signature.

If it is 'phased out', was wondering if anyone would recommend any cards that are 'the best bang for their buck' currently on the market. I don't really know the status of the Nvidia vs ATI thing, so any suggestions are welcome :confused:

Note: I usually use amazon to buy cards

Thanks Much!

Sandy Bridge has held up really well performance-wise over the years. I would try overclocking it if you haven't and see what kinds of gains you get.

I would definitely consider a GPU upgrade, though. If you have the money you can't go wrong with an AMD R9 290X with how far the prices have fallen. Amazon and TigerDirect have the XFX Double Dissipation right now for $479.99 US. This version is Kyle-approved and has the best price-performance ratio at the high-end right now ;).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey thanks for the advice! I was wondering, is there anything that's less than $200. (sorry, forgot to include my budget). And if it is under $200, can I still make do?

I would check Ebay you are bound to find many 280,290 and 290x's that were used for coin mining. I would be aware that you could have issues because of the stress that the cards endured from mining for months. But I have seen 290x's go for under $300, so the risk may be worth it and I would think they should still be under warranty.

Now is probably one of the best times ever to buy a graphics card. Buy used! Like others have said AMD cards are very low right now.

Thanks everyone!! I'll take a look and see what I can find based on everyone's recommendations :D

Yep, 290/x is your best bet as you can find them extremely cheap. Most of them will still be under warranty as well so there isn't that much risk with the stress from mining.

With AMD cards dropping in price again I would go with the R9 280. I'm seeing some listed at ncix.com (canadian) for just under $200 (with mail in rebate).

http://www.ncix.com/detail/xfx-radeon-r9-280-933mhz-cd-95214-1016.htm

OP, if you're unfamiliar with the new naming convention the 280 is basically a rebranded 7950.

I used to run a 6870 crossfire setup and I watched it along side with my brother in law's 7950 and the 7950 provided a much smoother experience in some games.

Since you already have an HD6870, how about adding another one for some cross-fire action? If that doesn't appeal to you than I'd go with what others have suggested. AMD has the best bang for the buck, IMO.

You can get a used Radeon 7970 for about $150-$175 which is basically a 280x. The X versions are just an overclocked version of a 280 or 290, so you can save some cash just going with a non-X version.

Back