• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Considering Amp and/or Receiver+Amp

dderidex

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 31, 2001
Messages
6,328
As detailed in another thread, I'm fairly unhappy with the Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultras I'm currently using. Specifically, I think the LFE crossover that is built into them...well, sucks. I'd like to be able to control that myself - given that I'm considering an X-Fi or Audiotrak Prodigy (leaning towards X-Fi), I'd have that ability. Soo....basically, I don't want a speaker system that will override my decision.

Anyway, can't upgrade all at once - just not in the budget, but I figured I could start with a receiver (do I NEED a receiver? Wouldn't just a 5.1 amp do?), and new sub eventually - but keep using my existing sats for now.

The goal is pretty much just to get a replacement for the Klipsch setup, which, aside from this problem, I'm fairly happy with. So, no $2000+ receiver recommendations for example. Same (or slightly better) quality, but that has no built-in LFE crossover that cannot be adjusted.

What brands should I specifically be looking for? Specifically trying to avoid?
 
5.1 amps work fine, especially if they have a decoder option for SPDIF inputs.

My Infinity 150s are on sale again for $100 / pr at Electronics Expo.

For a good budget sub, partsexpress.com for the Dayton 10" or 12". You could realistically go soup to nuts for about $650-700.

$200 for 4x Infinity 150 with shipping
$150 for Infinity C25 (or get a 5th 150)
$200 for a decent 5.1 receiver by Pioneer or Yamaha
$140 for Dayton 12" 150W sub

and you'd have a pretty kick-ass system!
 
Well, yeah, but if I'm already dropping $200 on a soundcard, that's about....hmmmm....$890 more than my wife will let me spend. :(

RE: Amp w/ SPDIF decoder. I'm not feeling the point on that. The X-Fi (or whatever I use) will be primarily running on analog to the map - the only time the decoder would even be used is for movies, and why not the decoder built into the X-Fi, then?

My understanding - back from the Audigy 2 days, granted (but nothing seems to have changed in this area, at any rate) - was that you had to spend no small amount of change to get a standalone decoder + DAC that could substantially surpass the built-in decoder + DAC on the Audigy. And it'd be just another cable to run, so...what would *really* be the point?

(In any case, I'm not really finding any 5.1 amps any cheaper than the 5.1 receiver+amp components, so it's probably a moot point....I'm not saving anything by doing that.)
 
dderidex said:
RE: Amp w/ SPDIF decoder. I'm not feeling the point on that. The X-Fi (or whatever I use) will be primarily running on analog to the map - the only time the decoder would even be used is for movies, and why not the decoder built into the X-Fi, then?

My understanding - back from the Audigy 2 days, granted (but nothing seems to have changed in this area, at any rate) - was that you had to spend no small amount of change to get a standalone decoder + DAC that could substantially surpass the built-in decoder + DAC on the Audigy. And it'd be just another cable to run, so...what would *really* be the point?

(In any case, I'm not really finding any 5.1 amps any cheaper than the 5.1 receiver+amp components, so it's probably a moot point....I'm not saving anything by doing that.)

I was just thinking of future expandability and usefulness for the amp. The card is fine for doing DD/DTS decoding.
 
Hmmm...definitely considering this one. Had my eye on some Klipsch RSX sats for a while, though (eventually.....some day....), but those are 75W sats. So...at 65W/channel, this might not be the best bet.

(Course, it's fine for now, naturally, so...maybe....)
 
Back
Top