Considering A64, convince me to stick with Intel

Originally posted by USMC2Hard4U
Hyperthreading is the key

At any given time, like right now, i can have word, outlook, excel 3 instances of IE, one Dowlnoading, Aim, and winamp playing a song... and everytime im doing something its just as fast as it was if i were the only program running.
Dude. None of those are CPU-intensive apps. I could run more stuff than that on my 2000+/KT333 without locking up or slowing down.

LOL Big worm i told you that the A64 3000 was a backup system and i didnt even overclock the 4600 card or tweak with it lol, you yourself said that 3dmark wasnt the end all of benchmarks and then you turn it around and say that your 3dmark roxxers, you are a hippocrit, self absorbed and im done with you and your attempt of proving yourself right. I posted 3dmark links because you made a statement that i didnt even own a FX, or A64 3000, go talk to someone who cares about your worthless opinions, like i said your jealous rants are meaningless.

I am gone roll my eyes at all your stuff.

I have Opteron 246 @2.3 ghz

I run the following

Outlook
Excel
Word
Lotus Notes
Inventor 7 and 8 at the same time.
Winamp ofcourse.
Folding :)
BitTorrent for my star trek.. (try hasing 4 4gig files and see how fast your box is)
I have at least one some times 2 Terminal services.
Borgchat
at least 6 Windows of IE.
Remote admin..
Couple Explorers running as well.

And when I need to use programing language I also use Delphi 7

Most of this stuff is in my startup as well. except for the realy intensive ones.

Did you guys reach the window draw limit of Windows? Cause I can and do a lot of time.

I realy should make a movie of how many apps I can run. Hmm that give me a good idea.

Wrench00 dont tell Bigworm your lowly AMD chip can run all those programs cause he will disagree with you, and thats what really gets me, a guy that makes all of his assumptions, opinions, and comments from something he read out of the Star or Enquirer magazine. I make my comments from personal expierience, and it sounds like your machine is multitasking just fine.

Originally posted by Marcdaddy
Wrench00 dont tell Bigworm your lowly AMD chip can run all those programs cause he will disagree with you, and thats what really gets me, a guy that makes all of his assumptions, opinions, and comments from something he read out of the Star or Enquirer magazine. I make my comments from personal expierience, and it sounds like your machine is multitasking just fine.

LOL Go back to the AMD Only forum, If you would like, show me where I said that any of these chips multitask like crap, Show me where I quoted a star or enquirer magazine....

PS you were the first one to come in blasting someone with fanboy comments.

Tell me this, will a single CPU AMD system be substantially faster then a HT enabled P4c setup at lets say ohhh.. 3.4Ghz at multitasking under heavy load?

Originally posted by Wrench00
I am gone roll my eyes at all your stuff.

I have Opteron 246 @2.3 ghz

I run the following

Outlook
Excel
Word
Lotus Notes
Inventor 7 and 8 at the same time.
Winamp ofcourse.
Folding :)
BitTorrent for my star trek.. (try hasing 4 4gig files and see how fast your box is)
I have at least one some times 2 Terminal services.
Borgchat
at least 6 Windows of IE.
Remote admin..
Couple Explorers running as well.

And when I need to use programing language I also use Delphi 7

Most of this stuff is in my startup as well. except for the realy intensive ones.

Did you guys reach the window draw limit of Windows? Cause I can and do a lot of time.

I realy should make a movie of how many apps I can run. Hmm that give me a good idea.

If you call that multitasking, that's WEAK. 4GB files off BT? that's nothing, at any given time I have 10-12GB downloading off BT accessing 3 diffrent Harddrives.
I also encode, 24/7 using multiple programs to encode at once, sometimes even two encodes at once.
I can also load up some games, I have FTP and fservs running. I normally have OE open, winamp, about 5-6 IEs open. winamp, itunes, nero burning DVDs, ICQ/MSN/AOL, telnet. Sure you CAN multitask fine, but that's nothing.

Until you've done the same thing with a P4 with hyperthreading, you will think you're nice and smooth, hell when I had my Athlon 64 [email protected] I thought it was fine too...then I played with my friends 2.4C and it was just so much smoother. It was no contest, it was noticablly smoother. I would of never noticed until I tried both and got to compare both.

Those who say AMD's can't multi-task are wrong in a sence, and those who say AMD's can multi-task perfectly are also wrong in a sence...

Really don't comment until you've tried both and have had ample time to make proper comparisons.

It takes about 50% more Mhz for P4 to be equal... (trading blows depending on individual tasks) BALLPARK equivalents

Ex: 2Ghz A64 vs 3Ghz P4

so your 2.3-2.4Ghz FX's are about equal to a 3.45-3.6Ghz P4 (depending on the task)

Though I prefer my $170 2.4C with non ECC ram to an FX. That MAY all change when 939 pin mobos & .09 micron A64's come out. But then again... 775pin Prescotts will be out and mature too. So time will tell.

And you never really see too many benchmarks that show off how HT on Windows XP helps smooth out multiple applications. (multitasking)

Hmmmm...Tomshardware did a review on the Prescott and it seemed pretty negative...maybe Intel doesn't pay them riduculous amounts of money to spread lies...

Originally posted by Daemos
If you call that multitasking, that's WEAK. 4GB files off BT? that's nothing, at any given time I have 10-12GB downloading off BT accessing 3 diffrent Harddrives.
He said FOUR 4GB files. In case you couldn't multiply, that's 16GB.

I also encode, 24/7 using multiple programs to encode at once, sometimes even two encodes at once.
See sig. Lemme guess, you let Windows assign them priority?
I can also load up some games, I have FTP and fservs running. I normally have OE open, winamp, about 5-6 IEs open. winamp, itunes, nero burning DVDs, ICQ/MSN/AOL, telnet. Sure you CAN multitask fine, but that's nothing.
The ability to run FTP isn't something to crow about. fserv is a finger server for IRC. Outlook Express, email program. Check. Winamp. Pretty much a requirement to work effectively. Check. You burn DVDs 24/7? ICQ/MSN/AIM, messaging programs. Check. Telnet. Check. None of these really strike me as anything much.

Until you've done the same thing with a P4 with hyperthreading, you will think you're nice and smooth, hell when I had my Athlon 64 [email protected] I thought it was fine too...then I played with my friends 2.4C and it was just so much smoother. It was no contest, it was noticablly smoother. I would of never noticed until I tried both and got to compare both.
I run dual athlons and i've had a single AthlonXP too. I can't gauge much of a difference between the two, TBH. Not with such a small 'work'load.

Those who say AMD's can't multi-task are wrong in a sence, and those who say AMD's can multi-task perfectly are also wrong in a sence...
No system can multi-task effectively. If its not the CPU (which it rarely is), its the hard drive, the RAM or something. The CPU is as important to the system as the Megahertz is to the CPU. Not a whole lot.

I thought that AMD was moving to .09 in late 2005? That would be enough time for the Tejas to have matured.

Originally posted by Vagrant Zero
I thought that AMD was moving to .09 in late 2005? That would be enough time for the Tejas to have matured.
Link to statement saying AMD is getting 90nm in 2005?

The ? was there for a reason. I'm not sure myself. Get it?

Edit: I did some googling. I see Q2 2004 as the time when AMD will start making .09 chip samples.

So uh...what's that mean exactly for retail chips?

The ? was there for a reason. I'm not sure myself. Get it?

Edit: I did some googling. I see Q2 2004 as the time when AMD will start making .09 chip samples.

So uh...what's that mean exactly for retail chips?
AMD has gone on record as saying they expect to be shipping retail products "in volume" during the third quarter this year. This is why I believe Intel is in a huge amount of trouble with regards to fielding a competative product during the second half of this year.

Late 2005? lol...AMD plans to release 90nm Newcastles in the second half of this year, probably in late summer.

Originally posted by DaveX
AMD plans to release 90nm Newcastles in the second half of this year, probably in late summer.

Isnt that what I said earlier? That things will get exciting later this year.(oops didnt say time period) with 939pins @ .09 (possibly 233FSB) vs 775pins @.09 (probably 1066FSB)

If AMD would freakin enable SMT, aka Hyperthreading as called by Intel, then I would consider an Athlon 64. They do perform well but this feature is a must for me.

I read on the Inq awhile back AMD technically could do this quite easily. Take that for what its worth.

Originally posted by batotman
If AMD would freakin enable SMT, aka Hyperthreading as called by Intel, then I would consider an Athlon 64. They do perform well but this feature is a must for me.

I read on the Inq awhile back AMD technically could do this quite easily. Take that for what its worth.

Agreed, I would definatly consider an A64 as well, I wonder if Intel is having an influince over AMD enabling that feature?

Originally posted by Mark Larson
He said FOUR 4GB files. In case you couldn't multiply, that's 16GB.

See sig. Lemme guess, you let Windows assign them priority?
The ability to run FTP isn't something to crow about. fserv is a finger server for IRC. Outlook Express, email program. Check. Winamp. Pretty much a requirement to work effectively. Check. You burn DVDs 24/7? ICQ/MSN/AIM, messaging programs. Check. Telnet. Check. None of these really strike me as anything much.

I run dual athlons and i've had a single AthlonXP too. I can't gauge much of a difference between the two, TBH. Not with such a small 'work'load.

No system can multi-task effectively. If its not the CPU (which it rarely is), its the hard drive, the RAM or something. The CPU is as important to the system as the Megahertz is to the CPU. Not a whole lot.

That's why I have more than one HD :) and loads of ram. Without the cpu the system would be useless ;) so your analogy is false. the Cpu is quite important.

I do let windows assign them pirority :) I HAD an athlon 64, I switched to a P4C for a good reason :) 16GB still isn't too much man. I filled up one of my 160GB HDs withen 2 weeks, BTign constantly...with more than 4 BTs :) when I bt hardcore it's usually 8 BTs and I can still game, and encode. Although there are performance hits (obviously) it's not as bad as they were when I had an A64 and it wasn't as smooth.

As well the benifits of the A64's 64 bit are useless currently, a few pages back I listed comparisions. When they are useful, the A64 3000/3200+ will look like child play things compared to the new cpus out there so you'll be upgrading again anyways.

as for Hypertheading, and multasking, it has it's limits, it's not a super computer. My next PC will be a Dualy forsure, Dualy what? whatever is out at the time...in 1-1.5 years :)

PS trust me I've OWNED an athlon 64 and now own a P4C and have a few Athlon Xps, I'm PRO Amd, I'm an AMD fanboy.

Originally posted by chrisf6969
Isnt that what I said earlier? That things will get exciting later this year.(oops didnt say time period) with 939pins @ .09 (possibly 233FSB) vs 775pins @.09 (probably 1066FSB)

Socket T @ 1066 FSB? That's probably the actual FSB quad-pumped.

Hey Bigworm i like how when you try to argue with a member and send them a nasty PM, it has been forwarded to the MODs, for all you other peopleout there this is what he said and im glad to see how intelligent he truely is.
Big Worm
[H]ard|Gawd

Hey buddy, Go fuck yourself

Originally posted by batotman
Retards fightin on the net..... :D cracks me up every time.

Has anyone ever actually won an internet aruguement ever??

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

P.S. I've got both processors, both are damn good. If they weren't both good, then there wouldn't be any arguing. Wow. I gotta kick reading this forum.

Marcdaddy

Why you would actually PM me further trying to argue is beyond me.. if you take this stuff so personally, mabey you should get out a bit more, cause you know your FX 51 cant give you what a woman can give you no matter how fast it is.

BTW go ahead and send it to a MOD, lol this is how much I care: :rolleyes:

It was in a PM, if its too offensive to you then dont PM me anymore. You're beyond childish. YOU pm'ed ME in the first place, I thought my reply was suited perfectly.

PS you still haven't answered my question from before.

Originally posted by Tedinde
Has anyone ever actually won an internet aruguement ever??
uh... once...
every now and then someone is willing to be educated...
rarely...

There is an Ignore list in the forum for a reason. If you can't keep your differences out of the open forum, please use it.

LOL, more hyperthreading "testimonials". Have you guys ever used anything else and tried doing the same thing? I mean honestly, why don't you do a little experiment and shut off HT in the bios and see what happens. Really.

I have:

Athlon XP 3000+
Dual Opteron 246s
P4C [email protected] GHz (yes, with "HT")
Pentium M-1300
Pentium 4M-1400
Athlon4 1000
Athlon 800 mhz

With modern components (hard drive, lots of RAM), you will not notice any slowdowns during multitasking. Period. The HD is more often than not the bottleneck, or the fact you don't have enough RAM! - caching causes that crunching that takes forever to pop up the window, not the CPU. If you honestly think that your CPU is the bottleneck you are really really pushing the bounds of credibility.

Here's another experiment. Why don't you put in 256 MB of slow DDR RAM in that P4 box and see how well it multitasks. Compare that to an Athlon XP box with 4 GB of RAM and you'll see what I mean.

Originally posted by redpriest
LOL, more hyperthreading "testimonials". Have you guys ever used anything else and tried doing the same thing? I mean honestly, why don't you do a little experiment and shut off HT in the bios and see what happens. Really.

I have:

Athlon XP 3000+
Dual Opteron 246s
Pentium M-1300
Pentium 4M-1400
Athlon4 1000
Athlon 800 mhz

With modern components (hard drive, lots of RAM), you will not notice any slowdowns during multitasking. Period. The HD is more often than not the bottleneck, or the fact you don't have enough RAM! - caching causes that crunching that takes forever to pop up the window, not the CPU. If you honestly think that your CPU is the bottleneck you are really really pushing the bounds of credibility.

Here's another experiment. Why don't you put in 256 MB of slow DDR RAM in that P4 box and see how well it multitasks. Compare that to an Athlon XP box with 4 GB of RAM and you'll see what I mean.

we are talking about multitasking using programs that are cpu dependent....

Often with these types of programs the cpu usage can hit a constant 95-100%, and yes it does make a difference, just like in these cases a dual CPU rig benefits even more.

More to the point: what kind of MORON would buy an XP and then stick it with 4 gigs of ram? Wouldn't it just be cheaper to get a CPU with HT?

More to the point: what kind of MORON would buy an XP and then stick it with 4 gigs of ram? Wouldn't it just be cheaper to get a CPU with HT?
newmovedfolder.gif
newmovedfolder.gif
newmovedfolder.gif
newmovedfolder.gif
newmovedfolder.gif
<--- Point

:confused: <--- Yuo

Originally posted by redpriest

I have:

Athlon XP 3000+
Dual Opteron 246s
Pentium M-1300
Pentium 4M-1400
Athlon4 1000
Athlon 800 mhz

So more RAM equals more speed and multitasking? I believe thats total crap. I can compare my p4 2.53 with 256MB of RAM to my 2000+ with 768MB of RAM and its definitely not a better performer than the 2.53. That being said I went from running my server as an Athlon 2100+ with 1GB of RAM and now run a 2.4C with 512MB of RAM. Thats a single stick and no dual channel. The 2.4C blows the socks off the 2100 and I can actually use the main server as a print server as well. With the 2100+ the thing slowed down the whole network to a crawl and I was forced to put up a 533Mhz K6-2 as print server.

You can't tell me RAM was the problem as the 2100+ had twice as much as the 2.4C.

In addition the 2.4C with HT never slows to a crawl during heavy multitasking, unlike the 2100+ or the P4 2.53 I also have.

This thread is becoming useless. Don't compare two unlike things because there will always be something else that is better. A dual Opteron rig would kill an oc'd Northwood-C that has HT. Then of course a dual Xeon rig (one of the new ones more cache) would kill that. So what? Then a 10gHz Cyrix would own them all (pun intended).

This thread is becoming useless. Don't compare two unlike things because there will always be something else that is better. A dual Opteron rig would kill an oc'd Northwood-C that has HT. Then of course a dual Xeon rig (one of the new ones more cache) would kill that. So what? Then a 10gHz Cyrix would own them all (pun intended).

A PR10000 cyrix? Whats that run at? 2ghz....lol. Yes true, somethings always gonna be better. I myself am arguing HT does produce a noticeable difference and is worth the money. If I could get a Athlon 64 w/SMT I would most definitely consider the move. But i'm not going dually on anything for the near future.

Even better, a dual G5 rig that Apple claims to own a dual Opteron rig in everything. Now THAT is a joke.

Even better, a dual G5 rig that Apple claims to own a dual Opteron rig in everything. Now THAT is a joke.

not to mention it can render faster than Xeon (which can render faster than Opteron)...does G5 even HAVE SSE2?

I definately think AMD will lose alot of customers with the SMP crowd. At least the [H] SMP crowd. Gone are the days of 400 dollar, dual 2400+ systems. Come the days of 800+ Opteron systems, along with Xeon systems.

lol. You need more than 768 MB of RAM. I'm talking about the subjective experience of your OS responsiveness slowing to a crawl, not actual performance. If you have 4 GB of RAM - your system is never going to 'slow to a crawl' providing you have things cached in RAM and not have to swap out to disk.

A p4 @ 3.6ghz matches an fx-51 or at the least a 3400+. I'm happy that, for 180 dollars, I get the performance of the latest from AMD.

Back