Considering a new tablet...

eric335

Limp Gawd
hey all!

looking to get a tablet soon, and need some suggestions!

priorities:
under 300$ or so
android (no apple ipad BS)
wifi
preferably a camera

Between 7 - 11 inches in size. i think id prefer a 10 or 11 incher. Id also prefer Android 4+ OS. ive seen JB and ICS, and am not sure of the differences. I see ASUS is selling one for 250$ that's a 4.1 JB and its called the Nexus Tablet. Any suggestions?

what recommendations do you have? im new to tablets as a whole, but would love to start using one for videos/games/emails and developing my own Android apps.

Thanks for everything,
E335

Last edited:
The Nexus 7 is the best one to fit your options tbh.

Btw- an iPad is 10" screen, so if you dont want something that big, you will need to get a 7" tablet.

W.Feather said:
The Nexus 7 is the best one to fit your options tbh.

Btw- an iPad is 10" screen, so if you dont want something that big, you will need to get a 7" tablet.

i just grabbed my mothers ipad 2 and sized up a 7" screen on it, and i feel like it wouldnt be big enough... not an improvement over a Samsung S3 tbh.

as far as 10" tablets, what would you recommend? a500?

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

The Galaxy Tab 2, i think you can pick it up in that price range, a used Touchpad is a good choice as well....Or wait a little bit, rumor has it as Google releasing a 10" Nexus, should be around your price range, maybe a little higher.

Not sure how an ipad is massive and an a500 isn't, the a500 is actually larger then an iPad!

A Samsung S3 is 4.5 inches, a Nexus7 is 7 inches. If the 10" iPad is "massive", and a Nexus7 "wouldn't be big enough" I'm not really sure what your looking for.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the Nexus7 is the best 7" tablet around right now.
And honestly, nothing really touches an iPad at the 10" size.

Not to mention there are no 10" tablets that are worth their weight in anything that are under $300. Unless you're talking used/refurb. Even then, I would suggest ignoring the used/refurb and just get a Nexus7.

If you are looking for a platform to test Android apps on, the 7" tablet and the 4-4.5" phone (ie GSIII) do a very good job of representing the vast majority of Android devices, and the Nexus7 comes loaded with the latest revision of android, JB (Android OS 4.1). Additionally, the Nexus7 will probably get access to newer revisions when they come out, instead of waiting on the manufacturers to load them.

Or wait a little bit, rumor has it as Google releasing a 10" Nexus, should be around your price range, maybe a little higher.

This is also very good advice

W.Feather said:
The Galaxy Tab 2, i think you can pick it up in that price range, a used Touchpad is a good choice as well....Or wait a little bit, rumor has it as Google releasing a 10" Nexus, should be around your price range, maybe a little higher.

10" galaxy tab 2 is 400$.

No idea when the Nexus 10 will come out?

Zumino Zufeilon said:
Not sure how an ipad is massive and an a500 isn't, the a500 is actually larger then an iPad!

A Samsung S3 is 4.5 inches, a Nexus7 is 7 inches. If the 10" iPad is "massive", and a Nexus7 "wouldn't be big enough" I'm not really sure what your looking for.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the Nexus7 is the best 7" tablet around right now.
And honestly, nothing really touches an iPad at the 10" size.

Not to mention there are no 10" tablets that are worth their weight in anything that are under $300. Unless you're talking used/refurb. Even then, I would suggest ignoring the used/refurb and just get a Nexus7.

If you are looking for a platform to test Android apps on, the 7" tablet and the 4-4.5" phone (ie GSIII) do a very good job of representing the vast majority of Android devices, and the Nexus7 comes loaded with the latest revision of android, JB (Android OS 4.1). Additionally, the Nexus7 will probably get access to newer revisions when they come out, instead of waiting on the manufacturers to load them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by W.Feather

Or wait a little bit, rumor has it as Google releasing a 10" Nexus, should be around your price range, maybe a little higher.

This is also very good advice

sorry, i guess i wasnt being very clear w/ what size i was looking for. ill go back and edit my first post. basically, i am looking for a 7-10" display that looks good :D

Ill have to take a look at the Nexus 7 and rethink the 7" size. If I went with the Nexus 7, should I buy the new ASUS for $250 or.....?

Last edited:
The majority of Android tablets are 7 inches.

The Nexus 7 has the best hardware/software on the market right now in the 7" tablet world. Best processor (Quad-Core Tegra), best Android OS (4.1/JB). Only issue is non-expandable memory, so I would get the 16gb version if I were you.

The Nexus 7 is made by Asus (it's a collab with Google, so it's branded the Google Nexus 7, but it's the Asus Nexus 7).

Also, Worst Buy carries the Nexus 7, so I would go to a nearby Worst Buy and play with it some if you wanted to see if it's any good.

The only Nexus Tablet out right now, is the Nexus 7. There are rumors galore that there will be a Nexus Tablet 10", but those are only rumors until it's announced.

And seriously, until the Nexus 10" Tablet comes out (and depending on what it costs) there really are no decent tablets in the 10" range anywhere near your price, unless you go refurb/used. Even then, none of them (IIRC) will run Jellybean, and none of them will be as fast as the Nexus 7.

The 10" tablet world is dominated by Apple for a reason. It's not people are sheeple, it's nobody has come up with a reasonable competition for it yet that actually works. Someday, someone will. But not yet.

Zumino Zufeilon said:
The majority of Android tablets are 7 inches.

The Nexus 7 has the best hardware/software on the market right now in the 7" tablet world. Best processor (Quad-Core Tegra), best Android OS (4.1/JB). Only issue is non-expandable memory, so I would get the 16gb version if I were you.

The Nexus 7 is made by Asus (it's a collab with Google, so it's branded the Google Nexus 7, but it's the Asus Nexus 7).

Also, Worst Buy carries the Nexus 7, so I would go to a nearby Worst Buy and play with it some if you wanted to see if it's any good.

The only Nexus Tablet out right now, is the Nexus 7. There are rumors galore that there will be a Nexus Tablet 10", but those are only rumors until it's announced.

thanks for all the info. i think ill go this route. i sure as hell wont ask the Worst Buy employee anything about it though, because last time i went there they told me theres no such thing as a TN panel monitor lol

wait a month and a half. Win8 + Win8 RT is coming out. Even if you don't want the Win8 RT, the android market is going to be shaken up by it and you may get something with a better hardware+screen for the same price as the ones now. A good 10 inch android tablet is about $350+ and still not as responsive and smooth as Ipads, so if I were you I would wait.
Or get N7, it is 7 inches but it is brilliant.

The 10" tablet world is dominated by Apple for a reason. It's not people are sheeple, it's nobody has come up with a reasonable competition for it yet that actually works. Someday, someone will. But not yet.

Uhh....Asus Transformer Prime/Infinity, anyone? Hell, even the first-gen Motorola Xoom is pretty damn decent now with the Jelly Bean update (I know, I have one...early adopter...still one of the better Android tablets in terms of build quality and now JB has breathed new life into it.)

But yeah, the Nexus 7 is one of the best, if not THE best, Android tablet out right now. It's fast, smooth, and the size is perfect in my opinion. At 7" it fits in my pocket. I bring it with me everywhere almost at this point.

Daggah said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zumino Zufeilon

Uhh....Asus Transformer Prime/Infinity, anyone? Hell, even the first-gen Motorola Xoom is pretty damn decent now with the Jelly Bean update (I know, I have one...early adopter...still one of the better Android tablets in terms of build quality and now JB has breathed new life into it.)

But yeah, the Nexus 7 is one of the best, if not THE best, Android tablet out right now. It's fast, smooth, and the size is perfect in my opinion. At 7" it fits in my pocket. I bring it with me everywhere almost at this point.

but is it big enough to justify buying one while also having a S3? and where would i buy the Nexus 7 if i decided to get it? newegg doesnt seem to have one, and CompUSA is 'in stores only'

Isn't there an 8.9" Galaxy Tab? If the 7" feels too small and the 10" too large that might be an option?

I don't know if that would be a dated model though, or in the price range, so perhaps it's not a good choice on anything but size.

OrangeWolf said:
Isn't there an 8.9" Galaxy Tab? If the 7" feels too small and the 10" too large that might be an option?

I don't know if that would be a dated model though, or in the price range, so perhaps it's not a good choice on anything but size.

ill take a look! 9 inches sounds pretty good to me, but ill do some research

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
There are several good 10" Android tablets. 7" is popular because it feels more portable, without feeling as cramped as a pocket-sized device. Of course, the smaller 7" screen also helps reduce costs.

but is it big enough to justify buying one while also having a S3? and where would i buy the Nexus 7 if i decided to get it? newegg doesnt seem to have one, and CompUSA is 'in stores only'

The Nexus 7's increased size makes it way better for things like comics and books.

Id say from personal experience, the best tablets that fall under your requirements ate the Galaxy Tab 8.9" and the new ASUS Google Nexus Tab.

They have roughly the same price tag although the Nexus may be slightly cheaper. However, it does seem to be pretty much fold out everywhere. You can try eBay though. I've seen quite a few there of both.

Good luck picking a tablet. I'd strongly recommend one of those. Hope I've narrowed your search down a bit.

Back