Considering a new laptop

Enceladus

n00b
Joined
Sep 25, 2007
Messages
39
I've been thinking about getting a new laptop lately and I was considering getting one from Toshiba.

I've looked on Newegg and only saw one I really liked. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114791 for $669.

I went to Toshiba's website and decided to try and customize one that looked like the one on Newegg, but with better specs. I ended up customizing one that would cost me $834.

Here are the specs:
* Intel® Core™ i3-330M Processor 2.13 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache, 1066MHz DDR3
* Genuine Windows® 7 Professional 64-bit
* Fusion Finish™ in Midnight Breeze with Glossy Black Keyboard
* 4GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM (2048MBx2)
* ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5145 with 512MB DDR3 discrete graphics memory
* 320GB HDD (5400rpm, Serial-ATA)
* DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) with Labelflash™ drive
* Realtek® 802.11b/g/n wireless LAN
* No Bluetooth (No Antenna)
* No Modem
* Lithium Ion battery (6-Cell, 4000mAh)
* 1 Year Standard Limited Warranty

I'm just wondering if it would be worth it. They say the list price is $999 for what I customized, but has a $65 component rebate and a $100 instant rebate.

I wouldn't be gaming on it much as I already have a rig for that at the moment. I would like it to last me a while and not be greatly outdated in a year or two.

I love the way it looks, main reason why I wanted it. But also since it has at least an i3 processor.
 
Anyone think it's worth the price?

I was considering knocking the processor up to an Intel® Core™ i5-430M Processor 2.26 GHz and taking the labelfish off the DVD drive, but the price would end up being $944.

Didn't want to spend too much. I was hoping to not spend over $800, but most under that price don't have all I want. Mainly something that will last a while and maybe play a game here and there half way decently, but nothing super high-end.

Was also hoping for Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate over Home Premium if possible.
 
I'm kinda in the same boat. My laptop is about 5 years old and although is still a good laptop, with the prices I've seen, I've got the itch to get a new one. Here's a couple things that I'd keep in mind: if you're trying to get a laptop to stay slightly ahead of the curve and have it last a few years, I'd shell out the extra few $$ for the i5. If you have any HDTV's in your house, and no Blu Ray player yet, I'd consider a laptop with a Blu Ray multi-drive. Now I know a lot of people rag on Best Buy, but the last few weeks, they've had a laptop(I believe a Toshiba) that fits all those specs for around $700. I just can't remember if it had dedicated video though. I haven't seen today's ads, but they may have one in there for this week.
 
I'm kinda in the same boat. My laptop is about 5 years old and although is still a good laptop, with the prices I've seen, I've got the itch to get a new one.
Lol, dude, I read your signature as "Pentium II 550 MHz, Gigabyte GA-M770T-UD3P, G.Skill 4 Gb DDR3 1333, ..." and I was staring at it for like 5 seconds thinking "wth?"
 
Lol, dude, I read your signature as "Pentium II 550 MHz, Gigabyte GA-M770T-UD3P, G.Skill 4 Gb DDR3 1333, ..." and I was staring at it for like 5 seconds thinking "wth?"
:D LOL! A 550Mhz would be juuuuust a bit older than 5 years. ;)
 
Back
Top