Considering a new 40"+ tv

x-elf

n00b
HI guys I'm Currently thinking about purchasing a 40"+ plasma tv. I was thinking about watching dvds/tv/ playing games on this tv. Actually I am more interested in playing games on this size tv then really anything else.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which might be the best tv. I have been seriously looking at some of the pioneer tvs.

Does anyone else play games on a 40+ inch wide screen tvs.

These would be PC games, notably warcraft at the present time. but also switching to maybe ps3 and or xbox 360 in the future?

thanks

xelf

How much are you looking to spend?

I'm not sure if you're dead-set on a television, you might be able to find a good HDTV projector in your price range.

I was looking at the pioneer 4360, was not really interested in a projector. To tell the truth I never considered it.

with is about $4500 CDN.

The reason I even brought it up is because of the rapid progression that projectors have made over the past few years...I'm in the HDTV market myself and consider that the best bang for the buck. A wall full of 720p/1080i? Count me in.

In either case, this is another bump for ya so some of the television experts can get in here.

I would beware of plasma, you need to be careful with them. Though that much money would make me want to hire it's own security force. The biggest horror story I've heard is the "burn-in" on plasma's where an image gets burnt into the screen. A kid I go to school with actually has the Halo 2 radar burnt into his.

From everything that I have read about them, burn in doesn't seem to that much of an issue anymore?

I do agree I might need my own security guard for it :D keep the gf away from watching her soaps on it.

x-elf said:
From everything that I have read about them, burn in doesn't seem to that much of an issue anymore?

I do agree I might need my own security guard for it :D keep the gf away from watching her soaps on it.
:) That may be true now, it's just a horror story anyways.

I have the panasonic 42" Plasma and I LOVE IT. Amazing PQ and I repeat NO BURN IN. I play Xbox 360 for hours and watch TV with logos and I never have had burn in. This is a brand new TV with the 8th gen panel. It only costed me $2800. If you look on avsforum.com you will find out that this tv is the holy grails of plasmas as it has the best blacks and PQ.

Arkanian I have the panasonic 42" Plasma and I LOVE IT. Amazing PQ and I repeat NO BURN IN. I play Xbox 360 for hours and watch TV with logos and I never have had burn in. This is a brand new TV with the 8th gen panel. It only costed me $2800. If you look on avsforum.com you will find out that this tv is the holy grails of plasmas as it has the best blacks and PQ.

so consoles look good on it? what about playing PC games? like world of warcraft or doom/quake?

this would be my main thing for buying the larger TV.

Dont buy LCD if you go larger then 40". Main reason ? Most affordable LCDs larger then 40" all suffer from SDE (screen door effect).

Buy DLP or Plasma for 40"+ .. anything < 40" should be LCD.

Have you played games on the tvs? if so how are they?
is text very readable like combat logs etc etc?

i recently (as in this past june) purchase a 56" Samsung DLP and couldn't be more happy with it. I paid just over $3000 which, at the time, could have only gotten me a 42" or so flat panel display. Plus, the DLP is only 14" deep and weighs less than 100lbs. As far as gaming goes, the 360 in HD (and actually anything in HD) looks phenomenal. Also, i've hooked up my main pc (via a DVI -> HDMI cable) and often play Quake 4 and Everquest 2 at 1280x720 (progressive) and it looks just as great. All text and graphics are sharp and details are very apparent. Even browsing the web in firefox is just a enjoyable as it is on my 20" dell widescreen lcd.

kid, nice. thats what im trying to figure out.. i don't have a tv now and I have a 21 crt so i want to get something that I can do both on thats fairly large.

hence why im trying to figure out stuff about the larger plasma tvs and games :D
it be more or less everyday game playing/pc monitor/ movie screen..

I have a 50" Panasonic plasma. Easily the best PQ out of LCD/DLP/Plasma for me. HD on it looks great, 360 on it looks great and I have no burn in and I have an HTPC hooked up to it and games look impressive on it. You can't really go wrong with a Pioneer or Panasonic plasma. They're the two better brands from what I demoed, with the Pioneer being slightly more expensive. I also got a commercial plasma, so no stand/speakers as I have my own 5.1 setup through a receiver etc.

Sky15 said:
I bought a 40" Sony Bravia LCD HD in december. TV is bad ass.
http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/SonydefectiveLCDTVs.php

We have a 50" vizio plasma at home, it looks absolutely ridiculous with my 360. The newest generation of panels essentially last forever, burn in is not much of an issue, and the brightness is 10,000:1. Its pretty damn amazing, especially with dual hdmi for $2500. Definintely worth checking out at Costco, especially with their return policy.

Back