Considering a 360 or a PS3

koopaGG

2[H]4U
PS3 has Resistance and that looks amazing to me.

Xbox 360 has Gears of War and I played it and loved it. Halo 3 was mediocre, didn't care much for Forza or GRAW 2.

If anyone here owns both that could prove to be very helpful.

They are both very good, the 360 has better games and if your in america it has a better setup where you can rent movies by downloading them, the ps3 in my opinion hasnt got the quality of games at the moment that the 360 has, but it is the more solid system imo, it has internet access, bluray and although i own both, i can forsee the ps3 being the better of the 2 systems once more games come out for it.

btw resistance fall of man, i didnt think that much of it, but then thats just me.

There's pros and cons to both systems. The 360 currently has a larger catalog of games, and more AAA titles than the PS3. But, it does have reliability issues. IMO, the 360 controller is superior to the PS3s. The PS3 has some very good AAA titles and some very stellar titles on the way, but then so does the 360. But, the PS3's DVD drive upscales DVDs(I assume the HDMI equiped 360s do the same) and it also has a blu-ray player. Not to mention, the PS3s HDD can be upgraded at any time with any 2.5" SATA HDD. Xbox live is better than PSN, but I think the PS3s interface is better than the xbox dashboard. But the PS3 has more options for customizing your setup. The PS3 also has a full featured web browser and, if my understanding is correct, you can connect any usb keyboard/mouse to it(isn't the xbox getting that feature soon?)
Prices now are pretty comparable. x360s are 350-450, PS3s are 400-500. The majority of AAA titles coming out this fall and next year are coming on both systems - neither one really has that many exclusives.

It's up to you in the end. After my 3rd 360 died in just over a year, I gave up and bought a PS3. I have been pleasently surprised. I personally think the PS3 is a better overall system. But that's just me.

right now the 360 is the better of the 2 gaming wise, but if your a hd movie buff then go for the ps3, im sure ps3 will end up getting its fair share of games. personal preference really, im a die hard hd movie buff and love motorstorm, resistance, heavenly sword, although i have gears for the 360 ill be selling it in favour of the superior pc version but thats only because i have a high end rig, i also see you have a high end rig. So bear in mind if your pc gamer which games will also come out on that platform ie i found lost planet, sega rally, jericho, orange box, Dirt, Bioshock, fear much better on the pc. So all in all i look at which has the most exclusive games i like. Halo 3 didnt do much for me but its a game people will be playing online for ages.

I bought both recently. For games and the amount of games the xBox 360 can't be beaten right now. If you're looking for a HD player though, the integrated Blu-Ray on the PS3 is cheaper than HD-DVD and xBox 360 right now.

It really depends on what you want most: HD player or console foremost. If your answer is console to play games, get the 360, if your answer is HD player, then PS3 is great and the better option. There are some great games out there for the PS3 as well, it's just the amount that lacks in comparison with the 360.

Well I own all 3 system, and my personal preference is the xbox360. Yes, it has the best software right now, but that's not the main reason it gets all my gaming time. I could find games to play on my Wii (MP3 was great) or PS3, but the reason the xbox360 gets all the gaming time and I purchase all my multiplatform games for it is because of its gaming/dashboard features. The xbox360 online system far excesses its competitors. I can easily keep in touch with friends through msn or xbl friends list; I can invite/chat with friend in all games; I can play music in the background; I can download all the great videos, demo, maps, etc in the background while gaming; I can view all the players I have meet online; voice chat across all games; achievements; etc. The system just feels "finished", while playing on my Wii or PS3 feels like the systems are beta versions of the consoles.

Xbox 360 has Gears of War and I played it and loved it. Halo 3 was mediocre, didn't care much for Forza or GRAW 2.

why not just buy the system that has the most games you like???

this is nothing new, this is not any different then playstation 2 and xbox - only thing different now are the graphics

i've got all three systems and my 360 takes up most of my time. Not saying that there aren't any good games for the ps3 yet, but there is just an overwhelming amount of must play games on the 360 for me. Currently i've been playing halo3, bioshock (awesome), eternal sonata. Soon I'll be playing mass effect and cod4. I prefer the 360 for cross platform games because all of my friends have a 360 and I prefer the friend and live setup more than ps3's. Also I really enjoy the 360's arcade selection and movie downloads. So my personal opinion is that 360 has more to offer at this point in time, Games are the most important thing to me, though, so make sure you get the system that has what you want now and what will be coming out in the next 5-6 months.

I have both as well. I probably use my PS3 much more often that my 360 just due to multimedia superiority of the PS3, such as blu-ray, ability to download movies to your box, upgradeable storage, USB storage.

I also am playing games on it more now that im bored of halo3 and such.

If you only are going to play games, right now i suppose the 360 is the better pick, if you want to add HD movie etc capability to your home, the PS3 definitely is the future in that category.

There are some games i do pick up on the 360 rather than the PS3 such as Guitar Hero 3 and NHL 08 because of MS's live service currently being superior to the PS3s. But if i had to throw away one system, it would be the 360, no way id let my ps3 go.

But, the PS3's DVD drive upscales DVDs(I assume the HDMI equiped 360s do the same)

The 360 upscales DVDs over VGA and HDMI but not component. This is probably true for the PS3 also since this is a requirement of the DVD industry.

Not sure if this applies to the OP or not but don't overlook the usefulness of the 360 as a media center extender. I've moved my media center PC to the bedroom for use as a spare TV. Everything records there, commercial skip is done, etc and the 360 is in the living room as an all-in-one media center and gaming device. It's very nice to hit the green button on the 360 remote and have it fire up the media center PC automatically and have access to all of my tuners, recorded TV, videos, photos, music, etc.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

The 360 upscales DVDs over VGA and HDMI but not component. This is probably true for the PS3 also since this is a requirement of the DVD industry.

Not sure if this applies to the OP or not but don't overlook the usefulness of the 360 as a media center extender. I've moved my media center PC to the bedroom for use as a spare TV. Everything records there, commercial skip is done, etc and the 360 is in the living room as an all-in-one media center and gaming device. It's very nice to hit the green button on the 360 remote and have it fire up the media center PC automatically and have access to all of my tuners, recorded TV, videos, photos, music, etc.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Also dont forget that the ps3 also does this and with the ondigital tuner around the corner...

If you like racing games, the 360 owns. Supposedly, the sports games will be fixed for the ps3 by the next go around. Obviously, PS3 is also a great bargain if you are looking for bluray.

I feel that no matter what system you choose you will be both happy and sad about your purchase since the grass is always greener on the other side. I chose the PS3 because it was right for my needs. What are your needs?

If you are an on-line multi player shooter kind o guy I would have to say the 360 is your machine. the community is much larger. Resistance is good but Gears has team play and seems like the game of choice for this

Also dont forget that the ps3 also does this and with the ondigital tuner around the corner...

Not sure what media center capabilities the PS3 has but I'm pretty sure it's safe for me to say that it does not have the ability to act as an extender for XP or Vista media center. It may be able to play videos, et al but losing access to live TV, schedule, adding recordings, automatic commercial skip, h.264/divx/whatever (via transcode 360 and mcebuddy) plus countless media center plugins isn't exactly the same thing - I'm just sayin :)

Not sure what media center capabilities the PS3 has but I'm pretty sure it's safe for me to say that it does not have the ability to act as an extender for XP or Vista media center. It may be able to play videos, et al but losing access to live TV, schedule, adding recordings, automatic commercial skip, h.264/divx/whatever (via transcode 360 and mcebuddy) plus countless media center plugins isn't exactly the same thing - I'm just sayin :)

He probably means Red Kawa, which really does the same thing as the MCE extender.

In Europe they have a tuner coming. There has been nothing announced for the US so it is not really around the corner for us. As far as the interfaces go, I have to say that Media Center is much better. The PSP interface ported to the PS3 has got to go. Music playing works well on both, but video playing is still restricted to a few codecs. Alot of my videos are not playable on either.

The 360 is a great system and has alot of good games at the moment, but here is why I have the PS3

1) The 360 was great while it lasted, mine went the way of my XBOX1 and I didn't want to replace it with another shoddy (my own opinion) piece of MS hardware
2) The PS3 is quiet, my 360's DVD drive sounded like a vaccuum
3) Blu-ray is quite nice and the upscaler for DVDs in the PS3 works great
4) The exclusives I care about are on the PS3 - MGS4, GT5, LittleBig Planet :D
5) PS3 is more of an open platforms... I upgraded my HDD from 60GB to 160GB in 30 minutes with very little trouble.

There are a few more, but this post would turn into a novel... Not saying you should get a PS3, but that is why I have one :)

On a side not, get Ratchet and Clank if you buy a PS3 it rocks!

Let's not make this a pissing contest. I have both and i enjoy both consoles. Combined, they're the perfect multimedia / gaming experience.

i agree the 360 media extender capabilities are far superior, but lets not forget that not everyone has a pc with media center capabilities, as a stand alone the ps3 wins hands down in this department imo, i agree with the above, try and get both machines!

Friendly discussion on my end, nothing more. The OP my not even care about the media center capabilities of either machine.

If he does, the ability to display photos as well as play music, movies and videos isn't even what I'd consider 1/3 of the media center experience and to be blunt - that's where the PS3 is.

both systems are great and you will win with either as a purchase.

PS3 - the best DVD player i have ever owned. blueray looks fantastic, regular dvds look amazing, and its easy to use. wireless connects without any problems. the issue is the games that are out right now, but this will be fixed soon.

360- amazing online gaming. halo 3 online is a blast. 360 has some fantastic games (gears of war, ghost recon, 2007, 08 sports games (higher fps then ps3), BIOSHOCK!!, and others) mass effect is coming out soon.

either system is a smart move. it really depends on what you want to do.

i agree the 360 media extender capabilities are far superior, but lets not forget that not everyone has a pc with media center capabilities, as a stand alone the ps3 wins hands down in this department imo, i agree with the above, try and get both machines!

Tversity on any current windows workstation and PS3 is just as good if not better than the 360s built in media extender capabilities.

Well I have both also and I would also say for hd content go with the PS3. It's got bluray playback supports the uncompressed audio formats where the 360 is limited to 5.1 with a HD disc. Great upconversion of DVD's is also another feature of the PS3 which the 360 is awful at. But the 360 does have a better software library but it's also been out a year longer so the 360 should have that. I think the games will come for the PS3, Ratchet was just released and I played it all weekend and I'm still amazed at it. It's the title that should shutup anyone questioning wether or not great games can be made for the PS3. It's the first title where I actually doubted it could be done on the 360.

Build quality? I'm currently on my 4th 360, and I know how to take very good care of a console and the 360 is more a less a big pile shit when it comes to that department. The 360 has a better online component but the PS3's will improve just like everything else that's out for a while.

good luck

I think I'm leaning towards the PS3 right now, because I am interested in the upscaling DVD's and Bluray discs. Not only that, but the popular games for 360 I really didn't care for (Halo 3 is the prime example).

And there is absolutely no chance I will be purchasing both.

I think I'm leaning towards the PS3 right now, because I am interested in the upscaling DVD's and Bluray discs. Not only that, but the popular games for 360 I really didn't care for (Halo 3 is the prime example).

And there is absolutely no chance I will be purchasing both.

If you are interested in Blu-Ray and games, then the PS3 is the way to go.

Personally, after the format war is settled and a winner is crowned, I'll buy a stand alone player. I have too many reservations about using a video game system as a DVD player. I've just seen too many system drives die over the years when used that way. Also, upscaling DVD players are cheap.

IMO, if you're interested in just the games, go for the 360. I own both of them, and like each one for different reasons, but there is no question that the 360 has better games, while the PS3 is more of the HT utility box.

why not just buy the system that has the most games you like???

this is nothing new, this is not any different then playstation 2 and xbox - only thing different now are the graphics

+1

research currently available games, pick the console that has the ones you want
research upcoming games, pick the console that has the ones you want

balance those two per your requirements.

got both, I'd get the 360 unless you want to watch Blu-ray movies.

I have both.

I got a ps3 shortly after launch and have loved the crap out of it, but I ran out of games to play and none of my friends have the system so I have to play with strangers online. I will say however, there are many fewer retards than on xbox live. If you are going to play with strangers ps3 has more adult gamers and hardly anyone abuses the mic. My wife is loving the media capabilities. The open network thing is awesome and lets you stream your music and movie files from your pc. The up conversion on the dvd player is amazing. Its much better than my stand alone dvd player. Bluray is as amazing as you would expect if you have the tv to handle it. I also prefer the playstation store. The downloadable games are more original from what I've played and you can buy them with a credit card and only buy the amount of points you need to complete the transaction.

I got an xbox mainly because of my brothers having an xbox. Unfortunately they are too stupid to set up xbox live, so I cant play with them until I see them over Christmas. The xbox is better for streaming music or connecting my zune to. The interface is just better on the music player. The xbox sucks as a dvd player. The colors are horrible and not accurate (yes they are both hooked up via hdmi). It could be my sony tv hating on the xbox (I keed). The only time the xbox would be a superior media center is if you have a pc with xp media center or vista. I have been playing more games on the xbox lately because of the the poor EA ports. I got madden and skate for xbox to avoid frame rate issues. Both have games. At this point, unless you are a super gamer that can beat everything in a week, you are not going to run out of games on either system. Its not like when I got my playstation 3 and the only games were resistance and resistance.

So my advice is that if you are going to equally use it as a game system and media center the ps3 is the one to get for its superior performance and reliability. Another reason to get the ps3 now is the 60gb version is superior if you want to play ps2 games without issues, and they are almost gone.

I held off on xbox until the elites came out, so I'm hoping to not have the reliability issues of early adopters.

Like most of us have said, you will be happy with either one. Both have things that are awesome and not so awesome about them. What one to get is really down to personal preference, usage patterns, and the games.

Anyway, do you have any specific questions about either system?

I played resistance.. It was OK but nothing really worthwhile i felt.

I'm personally leaning towards a ps3 because my friends have it, and other i know are getting it. Sony has more experience with consoles than MS and has some great flagship titles on the way. Also it doesnt have the dreaded RROD problems, and probably won't have nearly as many hardware problems in the long term.

360 has live, which is awesome. Also has some good titles out.. But the way i figure is this time next year it will be even cheaper. Same could be said with the ps3, but I wanna try to jump on the 60 gigger with a free extra controller while I can. The BR/DVD upconversion and BC is great and will save me room in my cabinet. I played a lot more Ps2 games than Xbox games...

In a year if the 360 has more games I want then i will drop the 300 or whatever it may be at that time for the "pro" version.

Right now the Ps3 has much more for me personally and that's all i can suggest. Still have to get some great Ps2 games I never got to.

I'm in the same boat. Considering which one to purchase.
I used to be a console gaming freak, but have lost interest as of late. No clue why..

Lately I've been itching to dive back in. And so far, I'm leaning towards the PS3.
I was thinking of buying both.. but I just don't think I'll be playing enough to justify the money spent. Also, it seems a larger percentage of XB360 games get ported to the PC. I'm pretty sure Halo3 will eventually be ported over (or maybe not), although it will probably take a long time to do so.

Last but not least, I think the PS3 looks sexier.

I love my PS3, but i'll be getting both as soon as i can afford a 360 just so i can have total access to all of the games both provide.
As a Blu-ray player, i love the PS3. I got the regular dvd version of Transformers and upconverted it looks almost as good as the movies i have on Hi-Def. (I do have a very good 1080 capable TV tho)
If you can afford both, get them. If not, just get the one that appeals to you more. Now that prices are going down, either system isn't a really bad choice to get imho.

Take the costs into consideration, by that i mean how long are you likely to have the console weighing the cost of a live subscription for x years as oppose to free online gaming with the PS3.PS3 costs more in the short term but cheaper if your an online gamer keeping the console for 3+ years.
Personally i think free online gaming is better, yes its not as simple to communicate/join/play with friends for now on the ps3.

Take the costs into consideration, by that i mean how long are you likely to have the console weighing the cost of a live subscription for x years as oppose to free online gaming with the PS3.PS3 costs more in the short term but cheaper if your an online gamer keeping the console for 3+ years.
Personally i think free online gaming is better, yes its not as simple to communicate/join/play with friends for now on the ps3.

It may be "cheaper" in the long run, but I'd rather pay for xbox live then attempt to use the sad excuse the ps3 has for online. I mean seriously, why the hell should I have to agree to the same damn eula every single time I want to play warhawk? Plus you can't access the xmb ingame (which means no friends list) so you can't see what friends are online (or join with them, since there isn't a real party system for any of the games),

I have both, and right now the 360 is my hands down favorite. I never owned an xbox, and only had a ps2 for a very long time but as of right now the 360 has the better interface, games, and online capabilites that matter to me. Not to mention the sixaxis is a steaming pile of shit, I swear I feel like I'm going to break the controller everytime I use it. Thank god for the dualshock 3 which is coming out soon, it should fix the biggest problems I have with the current controller (no rumble+too light, though I doubt it'll fix the sketchy lower triggers). The 360 also has many more games that I actually want to play, while the first for the ps3 is the new R&C game that just came out (the demo was amazing and really fun to play, can't wait to get the full version). The ps3 has warhawk, which is also a blast to play and should definately be a first purchase should you pick the ps3. I wouldn't bother with Resistance, I honestly fell asleep while playing ( I swear it was more boring than doom 3, and I have never even bothered to finish it).

I didn't buy the ps3 to play bluray movies, I bought it to play games, which so far really hasn't worked out well for me. :p

Pick what you want based on the games you actually want to play, and I'd really recommend ignoring the rest of us jabbering morons. :D

It may be "cheaper" in the long run, but I'd rather pay for xbox live then attempt to use the sad excuse the ps3 has for online. I mean seriously, why the hell should I have to agree to the same damn eula every single time I want to play warhawk? Plus you can't access the xmb ingame (which means no friends list) so you can't see what friends are online (or join with them, since there isn't a real party system for any of the games),
For now, it would be interesting to see peoples views if the above does become available on the ps3 wether its through home or the xmb for free.

Isn't there a DVR in the works for the PS3? I'm at work so I can't watch youtube, but I'm sure if you type in PS3 DVR theres a demonstration of how it works...

I personally would say PS3. I've been thinking about gettin an X360, but now I think I'm better off with a PS3/Wii/PC set-up. Most of the bad ass exclusives show their face on PC, and with the high-volume of games coming out on all platforms, by time I get around to playing those exclusives on the X360, they will probably be out on the PC. PS3 exclusives will NEVER show their face on PC, so I'm stuck to only playing them on the PS3... same goes for the Wii. PS3 will get cross-title games that the X360 gets, PC basically gets the same games as X360 (in time) which will have M&KB support (for games like Gears) and the Wii for all those Nintendo games :)

Not to mention if you grab a 60G you can play PS1/2 titles along with PS3 titles... that’s a freaken HUGE library of games. If you get the 40G.. you can still play PS1 titles and PS3 titles... by end of 08... all these people with the only complaint about the PS3 is "lack of games" should be shriveled up... then the only thing the X360 really has over the PS3 is its exclusives (most of which will also hit PC) and ... LIVE? (but even then, nothing is concrete, Sonys online experience could improve with updates...)

Back