Conroe vs AMD X2 for my case...

-iLLuZioN-B18C1

Limp Gawd
This is what I do:
1) Play one game - Counter Strike 1.6
2) Backup DVD's
3) AutoCAD/3D Modeling Software
4) General stuff- browse web, ms office, watch movies, music, ect.

At first i was settled on getting the conroe 6600. but now that the price cuts are out, i was debating on going with a x2 3800 for approximately half the price of 6600. for what i want to do listed above, would the x2 3800+ be efficient enough or should i still lean towards the 6600 to compensate for all my ripping/encoding/autocad/3d modeling and shell out couple hundred more bucks?

(gaming is not my main concern)

How many movies do you encode a day? Comes down to one thing really in your instance, is a 20%+ time savings on encoding going to be worth the extra money?

The E6600 hands down, you will probably be able to encode more than 20 percent faster than the X2. Remember you can OC to 3.4-3.8 pretty easily, or even more. You should also see a decent booast in CS depending on the GPU.

Neither.

I don't expect the cache will help much at all with encoding. Go for the $220 E6400 or the $180 E6300. Gets you way more speed than the X2 at a compettetive price.

-iLLuZioN-B18C1 said:
This is what I do:
2) Rip/Encode DVD's & Burn them

At first i was settled on getting the conroe 6600. but now that the price cuts are out, i was debating on going with a x2 3800 for approximately half the price of 6600. for what i want to do listed above, would the x2 3800+ be efficient enough or should i still lean towards the 6600 to compensate for all my ripping/encoding/autocad/3d modeling and shell out couple hundred more bucks?

WTF?
The lowest Conroe model 6300. meets or beats the 3800 at everything. Check the ANAND review. Unless you're going for a budget platform right now (IE CPU < 150$) ,there is no reason to buy anything but Conroes.
It's a harsh statement, but it's what I feel to be true. If you were solely going for a CPU upgrade on an exisiting platform, you would have to consider more options.

Agreed. For an equal amount of money, you're probably better off going with the conroe, unless for whatever reason a particular app you're running just happens to be faster on amd64, which doesn't appear to be the case.

The E6600 would probably be a large jump in performance for a relatively small jump in price, especially since the 3800+ is AMD's lowest-end dual core CPU, and depending on whether or not you get the 939 or AM2 version, you may be buying already outdated technology.

-iLLuZioN-B18C1 said:
This is what I do:
2) Rip/Encode DVD's & Burn them

Am I the only one reading this and thinking umm... burning dvd's is illeagal? :p :rolleyes:

^^ becuase burning DVD's ISNT illegal ?

You know you can burn more to DVD's then just movies that you rented from a store?

Maybe has has his own home movies?

Maybe he has DVD's which allow legal backups to be made?

Maybe he has home made DVD's from friends who want copies, Movies his friends made. ?

Dont assume.

OT:

sorry - i'm not leet enuff to get what B18C1 means...not a big deal but it's bugging me...

StealthyFish said:
Just curious. How much is the price drop. Your statement implies that the 3800+ will manage to drop around 100 - 150 dollars. The E6300 isn't 200+... it's MSRP is 170 something

[Edit] if you want to spend on a good processor. The processor can overclock well and sits at the same price as the 3800+ after price cuts. 170 + 150 for a Gigabyte DS3 or Abit AB9 Pro and I think you're good to go for whatever you want.

Price for x2 3800+ starting 7/24 is $149. When you add the fact that you can get a mobo for $60-80 cheaper it makes a difference.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3361

Also depends on if you already have good DDR memory and would have shell out the extra cash for good DDR2 to replace it.

Hito Bahadur said:
Price for x2 3800+ starting 7/24 is $149. When you add the fact that you can get a mobo for $60-80 cheaper it makes a difference.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3361
I'd go Core 2 Duo, for the simple reason that nVIDIA and ATi chipsets for a Core 2 Duo should be significantly cheaper then Intel's 965 and 975 chipsets.

You get a cooler running CPU, better price/performance and better geared towards the not so distant future.

ElMoIsEviL said:
I'd go Core 2 Duo, for the simple reason that nVIDIA and ATi chipsets for a Core 2 Duo should be significantly cheaper then Intel's 965 and 975 chipsets.

You get a cooler running CPU, better price/performance and better geared towards the not so distant future.
That's a very strange point to make.
He's talking about building NOW, ATi won't launch Conroe chipsets till sept, and Nvidia said about a month of tweaking will result in a GOOD bios for Conroe. So for now its INTEL ONLY chipsets, and they do carry a nice price premium (as with every new tech).

-(Xyphox)- said:
Am I the only one reading this and thinking umm... burning dvd's is illeagal? :p :rolleyes:

and and buy and selling blank dvd's is also illegal..............wait a second.

What hardware do you have now? If you building it from the ground up I would definatley go with Conroe. Which one depends on your budget.

MrGuvernment said:
becuase burning DVD's ISNT illegal ?

QFT!

Once you are willing to spend $180 on a processor, it would be silly to get anything but a Conroe. The price cuts offered by AMD don't get them anywhere close to the price/performance offered by Intel.

On another note, some have mentioned the extra cost of Intel chipsets. This is true, but IMO, they are the best/most stable chipsets available for Intel processors and are worth the price premium.

OP, why are you comparing the E6600 to the X2 3800+? The logical comparison would be the E6300, as they are quite similar in price, with the X2 3800+ to be slightly cheaper after the AMD pricecuts ($149 vs $183).

The X2 3800+ does come close to matching the E6300 in value once you take mobo costs into account. This is assuming you are going to run both CPUs @ stock speeds. The E6300 platform will be about 10% faster, but probably cost $100 more than the X2 3800+ platform.

However, if you are going to overclock, there is no choice, E6300 all the way. It just blows the X2 3800+ out of the water, what was previously a 10% lead suddenly jumps to 20% or more.

http://xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-e6300.html

If you can afford it, go Conroe, otherwise the X2 3800+ is a good budget option - that's my advice.

Leave gaming out as a requirement for the processor if all your going to be doing is playing a game that could be run on my ipod.

Back