Conroe Memory Questions

Patton

n00b
Being a (formerly) die-hard AMD zealot, seeing the news stories on Conroe has made me rethink where I should dump my money in the upgrade that I was about to make. Only problem is, I have no clue what kind of memory I'll have to get when I get my E6600 come late July. I see that it has an FSB of 1066, but there's no way in hell it requires DDR2-1066. What do I need to get to make this thing work?

memory will run at 266, ied recommend pickin up a pair of DDR2-800 which can run at 400mhz...that should give u plenty of headroom.

Refer to this table.

core2memory8ma.jpg

judging from the FSBs people have been hitting it looks like pc2 8000 is a must if you want to run 1:1. Its expensive, but im willing to pay to have a box thatll do 11 sec 1m superpi

Is there a significant advantage to running the memory at 1:1? What about buying the cheaper 667 RAM, overlocking to 400FSB, but using a 5:4 ratio instead? 800 RAM is quite expensive.

If your cheap any DDR2 should have dividers to work. I'm hoping AM2 may bring the price of DDR2-800 down some. It would be nice to see reviews comparing DDR2-667 to DDR2-800 with Conroe.

WickedWeasel said:
Is there a significant advantage to running the memory at 1:1? What about buying the cheaper 667 RAM, overlocking to 400FSB, but using a 5:4 ratio instead? 800 RAM is quite expensive.

Well look at the table there. DDR2-800 can effectively transmit over 1000 MB/s more than DDR2-667. Factor in the hit from using a divider (since Intel doesn't have an on-die memory controller) and you'll be seeing some performance hits. That's why Intel usually uses a higher memory:FSB ratio, to negate that hit as much as possible by using faster RAM.

WickedWeasel said:
The bios shots I have seen make it look like most intel boards can only run with the mem speed greater than the fsb. The lowest option I saw on a couple boards was 1:1, everything else was like 1(fsb):1.25(mem)

Anybody care to chime in on this fact? Because I may be wrong

From the table, and the very few OCing results we have so far, I would get PC6400 with some decent timings.

I'm getting DDR2-667 and a Conroe E6600. Run the FSB up to memory's native frequency (333MHz), and I've got a nice overclock (2.4GHz -> 3GHz).

Back