conroe memory - 533, 667 or 800?

MarkK79

n00b
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
9
I have been through these forums and there seems to be so many different opinions on the best memory for conroe. Assuming I do not want to overclock:

Is 533 the best because it is a 1:1 match with the 1066 fsb?

Would non-overclocked 667 actually be slower than 533 because of the multiplier issue?

Is 800 a waste unless you overclock?
 
667 memory runs on a 4:5 ratio

so 266Mhz FSB = 333Mhz RAM (which equals 667 because you multiply this by 2)
 
533mhz ram is fine.

the memory speed has alot to do with performance but it always depend on the things you are doing.

is it for gaming of memory intensive programs....

altought ddr 667 arent really expensive either.

if you wont overclock, dont go for ddr800 because it would be automaticly downclocked to ddr667 speed to match the 4:5 ratio
 
so if looking at a 6600 and not going to overclock (for a good while anyways) which type of ram to get 533,667,800
 
doesn't really matter. personally, i'd get ddr2-667. good tradeoff between the two.
 
when looking at the 667 ddr2, what's the difference in 5300 and 5400
 
what ram would you guys recommend for an e6600 (under high end water) and a p5b deluxe wifi? I was going to go for the ballistix 2gb ddr2 800 but theyre too expensive now.

What would you guys recommend? (under budget, ocs nicely, and is 2gigs)

thanks!
 
They r cheaper than all the other micron based memory.

I just peaked at memory prices and compared to a few days ago... wow SKY rocketed!

What happened?!
 
MC FLMJIG said:
They r cheaper than all the other micron based memory.

I just peaked at memory prices and compared to a few days ago... wow SKY rocketed!

What happened?!

Even the Patriot 667 I got for $180 a few weeks ago is now $100 more :eek:
 
yeah mem prices went up because last quarter there was a big over production of ram and lower than expected sales... thus dropping the price, this quarter production was slowed and less ram is being produced and with C2Ds hitting the market much more DDR2 was bought thus decreasing the supply and increasing the demand... before c2d and AM2 their wasnt a big reason to upgrade from the TCCD or BH-5 we all owned from a year ago or longer and so no one was buying ram...

id bet in 3-6 months RAM prices will fall agian, since there is a big increase right now in ram sales, production will increase and by then most migration to DDR2 will have already happend... thus lowering price: increase supply and a decrease in demand...

just wait alittle....
 
Well...if you are absolutely not overclocking, ddr2 533 will be the one for you! its in sync with the fsb, which isnt that big a deal for intel, but still is just fine. If you desire overclock, then a decent quality stick of 667 will do great, because you can overclock a little bit, then if you want higher, you can overlclock the ram so you can overclock the cpu even more :D

Basically, 667 will do fine for any overclocks using the stock cooler on a conroe. If you're gonna get a better cooler, might as well get better ram, so you can use the cooler to its full potential!

-Ashley
 
hmmm, I`m in a similar situation, for the same price I can get

DDR2 1GB - 533 - PC 4200 CAS 4-4-4-12
or
DDR2 1GB - 667 - PC5400 CAS 5-5-5-15

I really dont know which woul;d be the best for my 6400 and AsRock 945G Conroe Motherboard.

What would you guys suggest? Basically, I`ll be getting 2 sticks of memory, to make it 2gb total, they both cost almost exactly the same price. I`ll only be after a mild overclock if any at all.

Cheers,

Nige.
 
For a mild overclock I would get DDR2-667. Just get some value RAM since it's a little cheaper and is usually compatible with most motherboards.
 
thanks for your prompt and helpful reply.

However, I have been reading the forum and with the overclocks people are getting, it looks like i`ll be getting a P5B (I think thats the ASUS one), and 1gig of fast memory. I`ll get another 1gig when I can afford, but it seems sensible to spend the same and get a better M/B and RAM, then more ram when I can afford.

The overclocks people are getting are just too tempting.....

Nige.
 
Back
Top