Conroe... are you fo real?

MrWizard6600

Supreme [H]ardness
my simple question is whats up?

3-5% increase from am2, and 20% increase from conroe, the numbers are, to say the least, intising.

but is that the whole story? on every setup intel has insisted on its own setup. intel supplied ram, intel supplied motherboard, intel supplied everything. why wont they let anyone use their own system setup? so far if anyone asks "how bout this new system you proposed" the questioner is instantly met with "well as you can see this product pwns because insert your reason here" but if anyone asks to use their own rig, they are meat with stone eyes and a huge nope.

so whats the deal intel? if you wanna boast how great your processer is, let us see it, if you dont wanna let us use it in our configurations, dont post results you could have so easily doctered!

im not acusing intel of fowel play, but im getting pretty close.

if intel will not allow "public" testing, then I feel i have no choice but to disregard the conroe as simply intel marketing puffery.

theres no real reason to respond to this post, i thought id just let everyone know how intel is conducting the marketing of this product.

and so help me, if you make this into an intel vs amd thread i will beat you.

MrWizard6600 said:
my simple question is whats up?

3-5% increase from am2, and 20% increase from conroe, the numbers are, to say the least, intising.
-
-
-
and so help me, if you make this into an intel vs amd thread i will beat you.
AM2 is nothing more than a socket, with integration of ddr2 onto existing amd64 processors. Conroe is the desktop implementation of Core, which is a completely new processor (though they claim improved netburts blahblahblah, but whatever)

Comparing AM2 to Conroe is like comparing s939 vs Prescot

Yep. Just because AM2 will launch with current K8 architecture does not mean that later AM2 won't support a new architecture. As long as AMD's next architecture runs off of hypertransport and the IMC, it will be possible to put it on AM2.

i would suspect a lot of it has to do with the fact they arent releasing it until 3rd quarter this year... which is a loooooooong time away and also odd for intel to show off something this early. My guess is it still doesnt work right.

AMD will have something equal or better by the time its released, just gonna be a matter or stability and price.

I don't think AMD would be dumb enough to let intel just cruise by, if they are... I'll say bye to them in advance. But I think they are going to make a quick pull around and give the FX62 a very short life.

the thing needs a new chipset to work

no outside sources have the mobos to use it so intel can hand them out like candy and then we can can stand around in awe of how fast it is as we throw it amongst ourselves...

boostdemon said:
and also odd for intel to show off something this early.

I don't find it odd at all. Intel is getting their ass handed to them right now by AMD. They are releasing this info early to keep the rats from bailing off the sinking ship so to speak. ;) I've seen hundreds of die hard Intel people trying their first AMD system in the last 6 months here on this forum (not to mention worldwide) and Intel wisely is trying to stop the bleeding and who can blame them? It's like they are saying "hold on just a little longer Intel people - look what we have coming". Smart move on their part even if AMD answers them in 6 months or so when Conroe comes out. I have some friends who were ALWAYS Intel Fan-boys and swore they would never go with an AMD build. They are all running dual core AMD systems now. :cool: Intel knows that these probably won't be the last AMD systems these people who changed over will ever own so it all make perfectly good sense to me to keep others from jumping ship. SMART move on Intels part even if AMD meets the challenge with the AM2 or whatevers after that.

Conroe is the replacement of the 5 year old netburst architecture..... of course the gains are there.

AM2 is NOT the replacement of the K8 architecture.... so minimal gains at best are suffeccent enough.

Conroe is a pumped up high mhz pentium 3. They probably arent passing them around because they have a lot of bugs and take some work to get stable. Intel probably dosent want people playing with their prototypes and labeling the seris as unstable.

lol

intel is trying to dig thare asses oout of a hole, and i will be with amd till they die,

'i love amd

the fastest shit on the market

conroe does look like its going to give amd a run for their money...lets hope AMD pulls an ace out of its sleeve right at the last minute

Jakalwarrior said:
Conroe is a pumped up high mhz pentium 3. They probably arent passing them around because they have a lot of bugs and take some work to get stable. Intel probably dosent want people playing with their prototypes and labeling the seris as unstable.

your thinking of high clocking dothans...not conroe.

2gigs said:
lol

intel is trying to dig thare asses oout of a hole, and i will be with amd till they die,

'i love amd

Not for long.

And if conroe is bugging and not stable and give %20 + on performance, then things will only get better then......

it is about time Intel takes the crown back, sorry AMD fannyboi's but your little AMD udnerdog is going to get it ass handed back to it - AMD wont have anything to match conroe - until 2007 - i cant see AMD keeping any lead.

lets see, dothan is an evolved p3, conroe is an evolved dothan....

Willamette>northwood>prescott>cedar mill all P4. 1.4ghz to 3.8. But oh its not a p3 because if you called it that, that would be bad.....

Jakalwarrior said:

Willamette>northwood>prescott>cedar mill all P4. 1.4ghz to 3.8. But oh its not a p3 because if you called it that, that would be bad.....

conroe isnt p3 architecture! conroe is built from the ground up, it doesnt include any HT, netburst, or anything. you have no IDEA what you're saying. its not anywhere near a dothan or a P3.

The only think conroe has from the P3, is the same 'ideas' as the p3 did- shorter pipe etc.

Dillusion said:
conroe isnt p3 architecture!
you might find yourself a wee touch surprised.. but i'll wait until intel gives us some solid details on it before really making firm statements like that ;)

Well in reading various articles, although I love amd and have bought amd 90% of the time, I have to say that intel will win the next round with conroe. So far, AM2 will only be a socket change with minimal performance gain. The one hope was for amd to release something with 65nm to compete with the 65nm conroe. Well, looking at the recent roadmap, that is not going to happen until late this year, even next year. So, with all things considered, it looks ominous for amd. We will have to hear how great the conroes are from intel-philes for at least half a year before amd gives us something to counter with. Unfortunately for me, since the parents want a new computer built in 6 months that they can use for years from now, chances are, I will have to build them a conroe system. Still love my dual core opty though.
At least competition will be good as I am sure amd will lower prices to offset the loss of performance crown.

Dillusion said:
conroe isnt p3 architecture! conroe is built from the ground up, it doesnt include any HT, netburst, or anything. you have no IDEA what you're saying. its not anywhere near a dothan or a P3.

The only think conroe has from the P3, is the same 'ideas' as the p3 did- shorter pipe etc.

p3 doesnt have HT or netburst either... thats a p4

as for conroe.. i don't wanna sound like one of those people that just regurgitates information from articles i read on the intarweb to sounds smart... so no comment

Jakalwarrior said:
Conroe is a pumped up high mhz pentium 3.

No, it is not.

Here's a simple breakdown for those of you who aren't technically inclined:
Code:
                             Conroe                       Yonah (latest P6 rev)
Instruction Decode           4 + 1                        3
Instruction Retirement       4                            3
Dispatch (non load / store)  3                            2
ALUs                         2 64-bit + shift unit        2 32-bit
FPUs                         2 128-bit                    2 64-bit
SSE                          3 128-bit, 1 cycle           2 64-bit, 2 cycle

Conroe takes the basic Pentium 3 / Pentium M architecture, and improves it substantially. Conroe adds another simple decoder, and another instruction retirement unit. This means Conroe can decode 33% more instructions per clock, and retire 33% more instructions per clock, even more when you add in the micro-op fusion technique (combines a test and branch on condition into one micro-op). On top of all this decode brute force, it has the ALUs to process those instructions.

Did I mention extra ALU power? Conroe can dispatch an extra instruction per clock versus all other previous P6 designs, and it can perform 2 integer instructions plus a speculative branch simultaneously, or perform a FP ADD and FP MUL simultaneously. Best of all, it can execute THREE 128-bit SSE instructions per clock, if the SSE instructions are packed.

The SSE improvement is the most amazing part. The Pentium 3 and Pentium M featured one 64-bit SSE unit, reusing existing 64-bit hardware. The problem with this is it takes twice as long to execute a full 128-bit SSE2/3 instruction in a 64-bit SSE unit. The Pentium 4, and latest revision of the Pentium M, Yonah, added another 64-bit SSE unit, for a small potential improvement in performance, but since Yonah and the P4 only have two dispatch pipes, the likelihood of executing two SSE2/3 instructions every two clocks is low.

With Conroe, Intel has forked over the die real estate to make a THIRD dispatch pipe. They have also forked out the real estate to make all three pipes 128-bit. While this doesn't really help for integer operations, the point was to create an SSE monster. This processor can execute 3 SSE instructions in parallel, and ALL THREE will execute twice as fast as a 64-bit SSE unit can manage.

When you consider that you can use scalar SSE instructions instead of tradiditonal FPU instructions if your code can't be parallelized, the addition of more SSE brute force is welcome.

I'd only be amazed if Conroe DIDN'T kick the crap out of the Athlon 64. I own an AMD chip, and I really like the Athlon 64, but Conroe is damn impressive. Makes me hope AMD gets off their ass and releases a REAL update to the basic K7 design.

2gigs said:
lol

'i love amd

I like AMD too, but I really think you like them so much that you don't pay attention or choose to ignore what Intel will (note the future tense, as conroe isn't here yet) provide consumers with.

The mid-range conroe used was benched against a FX-60 overclocked to 2.8 ghz. In many applications, including games, the conroe had a considerable lead. Granted, AMD did better in some due to the integrated memory controller, but lets face it - many of us here care a lot about games. Intel managed to give a performance boost without a HTT link - now that takes a lot of work. Imagine the performance a core designed like conroe would give if a HTT link were adopted...

But anyway, I hope AMD has something up its sleeve, but I do have my doubts. Hopefully it will get them to put more money into research and development. As I've said before, competition is a good thing, and it is about time that the Intel giant gets the performance crown back (well, in some apps, at least).

well amd and K8 is like Nvidia and 110nm. it served them well for too many years, although 90/conroe is in the wind.

but im just pointing out how fishy it is. i mean yea conroe is unstable. but your chipset? your mobo? your memory? your etc.? i donno...

yea well intel is definatly more reputable then amd. intel got the whole microprocesser thing started right? 4004? but cheering for the underdog was fun. but then amds not the underdog anymore.

k well best of luck to conroe

Its about time Intel started to make a come back. But then again, AMD is still #1 and will be for most of this year. Intel made a smart move by dropping the P4 which was only made to squeeze as much MHZ as possible. Intel also stated that MHZ is not a good way of measuring CPU performance anymore.

Even if AMD don't have something big up their sleeve when conroe releases, I can almost gurantee that AMD prices will still be lower, and by the time the Conroe line is released AMD will have the FX 64/66 or something equivilent to give Intel a run for its money.

Some people here we'll get the surprise of their life when Conroe launches....and it won't be pretty.

Luckily there is enough alcohol and drugs to solve their depressive state....

Roberty said:
I don't find it odd at all. Intel is getting their ass handed to them right now by AMD. They are releasing this info early to keep the rats from bailing off the sinking ship so to speak. ;) I've seen hundreds of die hard Intel people trying their first AMD system in the last 6 months here on this forum (not to mention worldwide) and Intel wisely is trying to stop the bleeding and who can blame them? It's like they are saying "hold on just a little longer Intel people - look what we have coming". Smart move on their part even if AMD answers them in 6 months or so when Conroe comes out. I have some friends who were ALWAYS Intel Fan-boys and swore they would never go with an AMD build. They are all running dual core AMD systems now. :cool: Intel knows that these probably won't be the last AMD systems these people who changed over will ever own so it all make perfectly good sense to me to keep others from jumping ship. SMART move on Intels part even if AMD meets the challenge with the AM2 or whatevers after that.

Exactly.

USMC2Hard4U said:
Conroe is the replacement of the 5 year old netburst architecture..... of course the gains are there.

AM2 is NOT the replacement of the K8 architecture.... so minimal gains at best are suffeccent enough.
bingo give this man a cookie. I am sure AMD will respond. I am guessing not till Q1/Q2 of 07.

Personally I don't care about 90nm AM2s. I'm waiting for the 65nm refresh later in the year. That's when we'll see some huge improvements.

You're comparing a 65nm chip to a 90nm chip. Now, it's unfortunate that they will be out in the same timeframe, but AMD will respond a few months later. This happened in video cards with nVidia vs. ATI last year and earlier this year, but it all settled down in the end, and now we have the x1900xtx and 7900GTX that are comparable to each other and both on smaller fabrication processes.

We are going to see threads like this all the way till conroe actually launches..

We will really have to wait and see what happens..
Will conroe be faster than the current AMD line up?.. It looks like it will be.. It had better be.. Intel has to deliver this time.. They don't want to have their fanbase further eroded by AMD..
I have taken the benches Intel sponsored with a bit of salt.. My opinion is that conroe will be faster, but, it will not outpace the X64 lineup by near the margin of those benches... Especialy not at the resolutions that gamers actually play at..

Russ said:
Personally I don't care about 90nm AM2s. I'm waiting for the 65nm refresh later in the year. That's when we'll see some huge improvements.

And by then Intel will likely be starting their 45nm line.

MrGuvernment said:
And by then Intel will likely be starting their 45nm line.

Where did you get that info?? I haven't seen any roadmaps to that effect.

Killdozer said:
So, when is AMD going to release a new CPU architecture?

completely NEW architecture? look for like 2 years, minimum. I remember when the amd64 was released, they were JUST starting hireing/recruiting for the K9.

I know the crowd here is generally pretty young, but I remember years ago reading the first rumors in MaximumPC about how AMD is "toying with the idea of a 64-bit processor". If any of you can remember, AMD was losing every battle to Intel at the time, and it was a big question if the 64-bit CPUs would pull them out.

This scenario might play out again, only reversed.

Russ said:

You're comparing a 65nm chip to a 90nm chip.
What 65nm refresh this year?

AMD's 65nm is slated for 2007.

The fact is, Intel has process advantage of at least 12 months. Why shouldn't Intel's 65nm be compared to AMD's 90nm? I suppose Intel should also "wait" for AMD to use a 4 MB L2 as well?

Roberty said:
Where did you get that info?? I haven't seen any roadmaps to that effect.

Intel said mid-2007 or 2H'07 at IDF for 45nm.

AMD is targeting 1H'07 for 65nm.

Jakalwarrior said:

son you dont know what you are talking about

Unfortunatly AMD has lost this round. Its not a bad thing, it was bound to happen sometime.

Look at intel with the Pentium 2 and 3.... they were the victors there. Then The Pentium 4 came out and AMD stepped up for the next 5 years. Now its intels turn again.

Its not like AMD will go out of buisness, they just need to rethink and change their current plan... not a big deal.

As it stands right now, a 400$ Conroe will own a 1000$ Athlon FX.... So AMD needs to do something. Competetion is good for all of us, I hope AMD puts out a killer chip sometime soon, just so it drives prices down for all parties.

USMC2Hard4U said:
As it stands right now, a 400$ Conroe will own a 1000$ Athlon FX.... So AMD needs to do something. Competition is good for all of us, I hope AMD puts out a killer chip sometime soon, just so it drives prices down for all parties.

The price of the FX's will come down to compete against teh Conroe. How do you know a conroe will cost $400.

Back