Conroe and my lonely 7900GTX's

AuxNuke

Gawd
Imagine its July 23rd/24th (or whatever the actual release date is for Conroe) and the egg is chock full of E6600's at a great price. I think, what do I do with my 2 7900 GTX's?!? SHIT there's no nForce 590 boards availible! How do I live?

Am I the only one concerned that the new nForce boards haven't arrived in full force already? Will they sneak them in on the same day as Conroe?

/worried

I think you are going to have to wait to get SLI to work on conroe for a few weeks as I have not heard of anywhere puting any of the SLI ones out on the market.

i think im gonna put an E6600, 965/975 MB, 2gb DDR2 and x1900XT on my bill me later account when the time comes. :p

not that that helps... but i believe SLI will work just fine with a driver hack.

Jason711 said:
but i believe SLI will work just fine with a driver hack.
Maybe... but I sure as hell would prefer an nForce board to an Intel one :(

AuxNuke said:

Eh?
If you ever had anything to do with Intel CPU's you would know that the best chipset for an Intel CPU is a Intel chipset.

Terra - Period. :D

cheap conroe board now and use one card... till the better boards come availible?

AuxNuke said:

nvidia is sure to produce a chipset supporting SLI. though intel chipsets have been known to be quite good.

Terra said:
Eh?
If you ever had anything to do with Intel CPU's you would know that the best chipset for an Intel CPU is a Intel chipset.
I have owned many... and they have been stable and great. But with SLI I much prefer to use an nVidia chipset... as they are the only ones that officially support SLI.

I'm looking into getting a Precision 690 with dual 285 quadros and then just replacing them with my 7800GTs to see how SLI does on the new platform. I imagine dual 5150s should be a good starting point for a SLI build. Supposedly the new 690s support SLI...so we'll see.

Terra said:
Eh?

Terra - Period. :D

Normally I would agree with you, but testing samples of the 590 SLI Intel Edition chipset are beating the 965 boards in almost all benchmarks.

WarLust said:
Normally I would agree with you, but testing samples of the 590 SLI Intel Edition chipset are beating the 965 boards in almost all benchmarks.
Link?

AuxNuke said:
and the egg is chock full of E6600's at a great price.

Now thats funny. When Presler was released the prices were no where near great on the egg. The XE955 was runnin for around $1350 on there.

Anyways. You can always get a Intel chipset board and make it work with NV cards. If there is a will, there is a way. There is plenty of people that have done it.

D4hPr0 said:
Now thats funny. When Presler was released the prices were no where near great on the egg.
lol. Seeing the vast number of places that already have pre-orders and stock indications, it seems that the supply of these chips is going to be good. Getting your hands on that treasured 6600 is another story :) Work with me here!

Still, I'd love to have a 590 board in my hands before ordering a conroe. I <3 these GTX's and want them to have a place to show their true power :p

Benton The Race said:
The date has been moved to July 14th according to the inquirer. Lets hope its true!

While I don't have much faith in the source, wouldn't that be great?
Anyone know when the NDA is over and sites like [H] and Anand's can start reviewing the boards?

Back