• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

connectors for Corsair modular?

mikeblas

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2006
Joined
Jun 26, 2004
Messages
12,777
A power supply in a server I run at home failed spectacularly, so I've replaced it with a Corsair HX-850.

This is my first modular power supply, and I must admit I'm a bit baffled. I'm glad I got a modular supply; in my server, I have no need for any of the PCI-E video card connectors, so I can remove them without any trouble. Normally, they'd be bundled at the bottom of the case.

The supply came in a faux velvet bag, with a logged nylon sack for the modular power cables. Why is that? It seems completely ostentatious.

I've been trying to find connector ends for the power supply so that I can wire my own cables of custom length and route them the way I'd like. It seems like these connectors aren't standardized from vendor to vendor, and further are proprietary parts -- nothing that Mouser or Digikey carry. I can't see any kit that I can order from Corsair.

Is it really true that I can't make my own connector sets? If not, what's the real value of a modular supply? Why are they useful or popular?
 
To answer your last question, they are useful and popular precisely because of what you said in your second paragraph. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's a high-end power supply, and Corsair wants to make sure you feel that it is high end by including special items. You'll find that many manufacturers do similar things on their high-end power supplies. Other than that, there really isn't too much of a point to those bags. If you're annoyed by them, well... just throw them out.

Yes, they generally are proprietary, and will even vary within power supply models. For example, the Corsair HX connectors cannot be used with the Corsair AX connectors. However, you can usually contact Corsair for additional cables for you to play with.
 
If I contact Corsair, I think they'll send me some pre-made cables, not some connectors. If I took apart the cables (or convinced them to send me connectors), would I find that they use Molex-compatible pins, so I could rebuild them with my Molex tools and pin kits?

I don't think there's large value in building the customized cable set -- it would result in tidier layout for my case and be a wee bit more maintainable. Since there's low value, I don't want to invest a lot of time or money into the project.

Because of the proprietary connectors on the PSU side, it seems like the project is actually harder because I'm starting with a modular PSU, and that surprised me.
 
The PSU ends of the cables should use standard connectors. They may however be keyed differently than the ones used for PCI-E and motherboard connections. The pins are the same as standard Molex Mini-Fit pins, so you can reuse the connectors that come with the PSU cables and make your own wires providing you have the proper tools.
 
To answer your last question, they are useful and popular precisely because of what you said in your second paragraph. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's a high-end power supply, and Corsair wants to make sure you feel that it is high end by including special items. You'll find that many manufacturers do similar things on their high-end power supplies. Other than that, there really isn't too much of a point to those bags. If you're annoyed by them, well... just throw them out.

Yes, they generally are proprietary, and will even vary within power supply models. For example, the Corsair HX connectors cannot be used with the Corsair AX connectors. However, you can usually contact Corsair for additional cables for you to play with.
Yeah, just like the cables from the HX520/620 can't be used on the HX850/1000. :(

To the OP, since Corsair call the HX series their "Professional Line", that's why you get the bags, and the nylon bag allows you to keep all of the unused modular cables in one place, that is, until you misplace the cable bag...
 
The PSU ends of the cables should use standard connectors. They may however be keyed differently than the ones used for PCI-E and motherboard connections. The pins are the same as standard Molex Mini-Fit pins, so you can reuse the connectors that come with the PSU cables and make your own wires providing you have the proper tools.

Sweet, thanks! I think the header housing is Molex part number 39-01-2065, so I'll try to build some around those.

The bags are retarded; a complete waste of cost. I'm all for capitalism, but I'm not sure who wants this kind of crap.
 
Last edited:
The bags are retarded; a complete waste of cost. I'm all for capitalism, but I'm not sure who wants this kind of crap.
I disagree. I've gotten rid of all the boxes from my modular PSUs, so the bags are quite useful for keeping all of the unused cables together.
 
To each their own, I guess -- I keep everything in plastic tubs. I don't need a bag in a tub; I can just drop the unused connectors into the "low power" tub with the rest of the adapters and connectors I have on hand.
 
Yes, but the bags make it easier to separate cables from different PSUs, since they aren't standard. I'd rather not have them all mixed in together, especially in cases where different sets of cables look similar but have different pin configurations.
 
You are literally the first person I have ever had complain about the bags in nearly 5 years.
 
Yes, but the bags make it easier to separate cables from different PSUs, since they aren't standard. I'd rather not have them all mixed in together, especially in cases where different sets of cables look similar but have different pin configurations.

Then just use the plastic bag the supply would've been wrapped in, otherwise. For me, the bag went straight into the landfill -- a complete waste. I wish the company had used the COGS for the bag towards the product itself rather than some pointless frill.
 
I like my bag, and I somehow doubt that the price would be less without it.
 
Back
Top