Connection to local network but not to internet

Le037

Limp Gawd
Sup I just moved to my dads house and set up my computer. It found the local wireless network and connected to it, but it only does so locally, it doesnt have access to internet. I tried the typicall solution of unplugging the modem and waiting for a while but it didnt work. Can anyone help me out with this? Id be very grateful.

make sure your computer is configured for a dynamic IP address (assigned via DHCP from the router), as well as the correct default gateway and DNS (which the router should issue via DHCP as well).

Btw the ip you see in the pic is no where near the ips of the router or other computers in the network.

Is he using another router on the network as a WAP? Besides the main router

Btw the ip you see in the pic is no where near the ips of the router or other computers in the network.

I believe this is the default address windows assigns a computer when it can't find a DHCP server( Your router)

I believe this is the default address windows assigns a computer when it can't find a DHCP server( Your router)

Why does it find the network though and say it's connected to it?

Btw I connected the computer to the router through a LAN cable and it was the same problem.

OP, do you have MAC filtering enabled on the router?

No idea I could try to check when I have access to the router later tonight. Right now I'm on my desktop connected directly to the modem. Later tonight though my dad get's home and I have to share internet so I'll set the router up again and see.

Is DHCP enabled on the router? You can check to see if DHCP is enabled on your dad's computer doing and ipconfig and also try manually setting your own IP with an address within the same range.

Is DHCP enabled on the router? You can check to see if DHCP is enabled on your dad's computer doing and ipconfig and also try manually setting your own IP with an address within the same range.

Ok I'll check to see if DHCP is enabled. I tried manually setting a static ip but then the router asked me for a "Next Hop IP Address" and I had no idea what to put there.

169.x.y.z IP = APIPA = no actual network access.
in Win7 I've noticed it will say connected, when it should say "Limited or no connectivity" like it did in XP (meaning, it sees the network, tried to connect, but is not receiving an IP).

this could be due to mis-typing the wireless key.

Make sure you are setting a static IP on your computer and not the router.

Make sure you are setting a static IP on your computer and not the router.

It sucks I'm such an ignorant with networks. When you set a static IP on your computer you don't have to go to the router and specify it there too?

It sucks I'm such an ignorant with networks. When you set a static IP on your computer you don't have to go to the router and specify it there too?

That's when doing a DHCP reservation.
Static IP you do on your PCs interface.

Go to a functioning PC and see what it's settings are. Are you sure you're connecting to the correct wireless? Does your dad know?

Yeah I'm sure I'm connecting to the correct wireless. I haven't set the router up yet gimme some mins I'll set it up and post the ipconfig of a laptop.

a 169 ip ain't gonna get you shit.

What si the name of the ssid, or, wireless network?

I'm surprised you didn't just reset the router to default settings and then reconfigure it, that would have solved your problem a lot easier

The name of the network is "Speed", Why?

Btw DHCP is NOT enabled, should i enable it?

Here´s the ipconfig of a laptop sorry bout the spanish.

I´ll try whatever you guys can suggest otherwise I´ll try reseting the router.

^^^

Yes, you should enable DHCP or else configure a static IP address. The fact that it's disabled is why you're getting the 169.x.x.x IP address.

DHCP automatically assigns your computer its IP information, specifically, a dynamic IP address, so try that first and let us know what happens.

DHCP hands out IP addresses, gateways, and DNS. Enable it, or set your IP addresses statically.

Sorry, DHCP actually was enabled. It even says so in that last screenshot. I tried setting a static ip with those same gateway and dns servers as that laptop and no good. It says it can´t identify the connection.

Try pinging by IP:
ping 4.2.2.2

Try pinging by host name:
ping www.google.com

What are the results?

Turn off any firewalls including the Windows firewall and try again.

Sorry, DHCP actually was enabled. It even says so in that last screenshot. I tried setting a static ip with those same gateway and dns servers as that laptop and no good. It says it can´t identify the connection.

is the wireless secured with WEP, WPA, or WPA2?

have you tried re-typing the wireless key?
have you verified you are trying to use the correct wireless key?

what happens if you plug the laptop directly into the router via patch cable?

If he pulled an IP from DHCP, his wireless key is correct. You can't access ANY resources, including DHCP, without the correct key.

Back