Connection Problems w/RCN Cable

Al Shades

Limp Gawd
Our house has RCN Cable, and it was running fine up until a few months ago. We were splitting the connection between 4 people.

The modem and Linksys router are in my room. I was connected directly to the router, the other people were connected wirelessly. But then it stopped working.

Now, if I connect directly to the modem, my connection works fine and there are no problems. If I try to connect through the router even with a wired connection, it doesn't work. My housemates aren't picking up any connection wirelessly either.

Tried it with an MS Router and no difference. The connection is detected by XP and shown to be running fine but it won't load anything. Called RCN and they blamed it on the router, said they couldn't do anything because it was working for me when connected directly to the modem.

Now I'm faced with switching to Comcast and losing my ability to DL torrents.

Anything I can do?
I suspect the problem is on their end and they did something that prevents the connection from being shared.

Not sure how RCN works but was your computer the one it was setup on when they installed it the first time?

I'm thinking they are using mac filtering or something and it is tied to your nic. Has the linksys router been reset as of late? Also you are rebooting the cable modem after switching from router to router or router to pc right?

No, my comp was not the original setup machine. I only moved into this house a year ago and they have had RCN for several years. However, it was working fine on this machine (and everyone else's) up until this past summer.

When I was testing the router to eliminate that as a possible source of the problem, I did reset it. And I have power cycled the modem many times, as well.

first of all wow...Now I'm faced with switching to Comcast and losing my ability to DL torrents....same issues thier they wont block nothing... never have... yet i work for comcast so i know this.. plus use it everyday...

1) no company supports a third party router...
2) second is your router configuered properly?? proboly not... as comcast is dhcp like almost every isp out thier now days... linksys routers when reset are set to static settings
3) if your router was fine it would dectect a connection to your router atleast but the router tiself wouldnt be able to connect outbound....

4) try this... plug everything in let the modem connect... then plug the power into the router after modem gets a full block synch(connection) , power on the router , goto the cmd prompt do a ipconfig /flushdns ipconfig /release then renew..... you should be set if not check your router settings since your wireless computers dont even see the router to begin with i dought its configured anymore since it should atleast beable to hold a connection to the router just fine however wouldnt connect

;)

i take calls with these allday long,,,

Are you saying that Comcast doesn't block torrents? I've heard it widely reported on the web that they block/throttle seeding attempts.

As far as the router goes, I don't understand how that could be the problem when the connection was working fine through that very router for several years straight. Over the past few months, we started to have increased periods of downtime, until finally it no longer worked unless plugged directly into the modem.

When I'm connected through the router, xp does detect the connection. It simply won't do anything beyond that, I can't access any pages whatsoever. So, on the surface everything appears to be working fine, it's just when you try to do something that you realize it doesn't work...

How do I access the router's config settings? I forgot the procedure.

Back