Connection loss with many routers.Need some help DESPERATELY!

I've got a small network of only 2 pcs at home.

I have time warner cable coming into one of their toshiba cable modems, and from there, the connection goes into a netgear rangemax router and then into the two pcs.

Everything was working fine back when i have my old linksys WRV54g router, but i didnt use or need VPN so i sold it for the netgear. Ever since i got this netgear, ive had to constantly reset the router to get a connection to the internet. In the router menu, there is a "TEST" button that usually fixes the problem, but im getting sick of hitting it every couple of minutes.

I thought i might have a cable problem, so i check everything and thats not it.

I went into my network settings on both computer and created new connections to broadban, the ms way with the wizard. AMAZING. everything started working great and i thought i fixed all my problems.

1 day after, the problem returns. I now have to keep hitting test to restard the router. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem here?

I also tried to hook up an old Dlink D-624 , but i couldnt even get into the router (192.168...stuff) so i didnt even try. It just wouldnt let me in. It kept saying "too long to respond"

have you tried removing your router and connecting directly to the cable modem?

Sounds like the Netgear just isn't working. I had a 614 (I think 614) that did that. Just quit.

The DLink, plug it up and hold the reset button for 15 seconds, see if it will let you in then.

Back