Connection Freezes: Router or Cable Modem?

NotSoSimple

[H]F Junkie
Ive got a Motorla Surfboard and Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless-B Router. I have it interfaced where the Cable Modem connects to router via Cat-5 and then from router to 3 other comps (cat-5 hard line) to 1 laptop on wireless. I have a server running 24/7 (Running Ventrilo 2.2 right now) and my main comp that is on almost 24/7.

Sometimes AIM will disconnect on me, and I can't get on the internet. On the router thier are link lights to the connected computers, but arent blinking (No packet transmission correct?). I have to physically go over their and power cycle my router and then it works again. This happens maybe every day or every other day. It gets pretty annoying when I have to go reset it. Anyone have any ideas?

Check make sure your Linksys has latest firmware.
If it still has problems, think about replacing it. I heard good things about SMC Barricade Routers.
http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?site=c
If your VoIP software uses broadcast/multicast be sure to lower the speed of the routers wireless, or upgrade client adapters to G.

In my experience with Linksys routers I have had the same problem. It would randomly disconnect me every once in a while, but with mine it would reconnect after a bit. If I bypassed the router it worked fine. I tried lastest firmware and didn't do anything. I finally just gave up and bought a different brand.

i had the same issues with my router, did the firmware it did nothing, i grabed another router and put it next to the messed up one, and i was going to swap them later that day when i had the prblem, but i never had the problem again, Id say hit the firmwere and keep and eye on it, it sounds like your router, but it coule be something as simple as a lack of power to the router (if its on a highly taxed circut) or some of the things may be the modem

if you can still get to your server but you cant get online then i would say its more your modem/isp messing with your connection

sorry i cant help more, but good luck
(i gotta get used to the new set up here)

i would go with router. cheap soho wireless equipment isn't very good, they'll flake out easily and if you have any other device at the same frequency, you'll just get a headache.

you wouldnt happen to be using a cordless phone or microwave at the time of the disconnections? Believe it or not they do interfere with your wireless connection.

Hmm yes I do have a cordless phone...But it dosnt disconnect when I use it. Same with the microwave. I upgraded to the latest firmware, so we will see what goes on.

I shall report back tomorrow!

Its sad to say, but a good 50% of the time my 2.4Ghz cordless phone will not connect to the base station when my wireless network is up. I have a sneaking suspicion that some of the erratic drops in wireless connectivity I get may be from neighbors firing up their 2.4Ghz phones (goddamn apartments!).

Make sure to update your machine's NIC drivers as well as the firmware.

Well would the neighbors phone still screw me up? All I have are 900MHz Cordless Phones. I've got an ample amount of space between the Access Point and anyone elses' house..Could it still be the problem?

Back