Connection eventually stops functioning properly after resetting modem/router

orthiles

n00b
I've been having this problem since I reformatted a month ago. After a certain amount of time from resetting my modem and router, I can no longer launch programs like instant messengers and games. Web browsing still works, but I can't get into any secure pages. I still have a connection and nothing looks wrong on the surface; I just can't get into everything then. The only temporary fix I've had is resetting my router. I think it has something to do with just this computer though, since this does not occur on any other machines on my network.

The problem is not related to any anti virus software or firewalls (occurred with neither installed and windows firewall turned off). I have tried 2 different network cards with no success. On my router I have no different settings that would single out this computer. Renewing my connection and stuff with ipconfig doesn't fix anything, but manually turning the router on and off fixes it.

I'll reformat again if this can't be solved, but I would it doesn't come to that. I can't deal with it anymore; it's annoying. I've tried looking up my problem, but not really knowing how to describe it, I haven't found many solutions. I've really searched before deciding to post here.

Here's some info that might be useful. I don't know everything I should list, so if I'm missing anything (probably am), please tell me:

ISP: Comcast (cable connection)
Modem: Motorola SB5100 Surfboard Cable Modem
Router: NETGEAR Cable/DSL Web safe router RP614 v3
Network Card (current, but have tried others): NETGEAR GA311 Adapter

System specs:
OS: Windows XP Pro SP 2 with updates up to Janurary 2007
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.21 Ghz
Motherboard: K8N Neo2 Ultra Platinum Edition with nForce 3 Ultra chipset
Harddrives: 200gb SATA 3.0 Seagate (2700RPM) / 500gb SATA 3.0 Seagate (2700RPM)
Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce 5200 FX (PCI)
Memory: 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM) (2 sticks of 512mb, forget exact name)
PSU: Antec 450wat

I've properly wiped and installed the latest drivers for all of my hardware. I've cleaned all spyware, adware, and viruses using Spybot, Ad-aware, and NOD 32.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

I've seen an RP614 that acted wierd because it was getting hot. Resetting fixed it, but they had to do it a few times a day.

I cut a hole in it, used as5 and a small heatsink and superglued it on the main chip, and AFAIK, it hasn't had to be reset in months now.

does anyone know what my problem might be? I would appreciate any help. i'm sorry if I am bumping my topic too much, but it keeps sinking a few pages and I waited a few days before bumping. I'd really like to fix this.

Back