Connecting Two Linksys Routers - need help...

Iconz

Gawd
Okay, I have a 4 port Cable/DSL router (BEFSR41) that's just laying around, and a wireless B 4 port (BEFW11S4) that I is hooked up to my Motorola Surfboard cable modem that I got from RoadRunner. All of my comps have wireless, and I've set up the wireless router to accept only the 3 MAC addresses of the comps in my house, so I'm good there.

First of all, does anyone see any value in adding the 4 SR41 in between the cable modem and the wireless router?? If not, then I guess I can rest easy and not worry about it.

If there is a benefit, what is it? And do I use a crossover cable or regular patch, and how do I get it going properly. I know I'll likely have a problem with IP's as linksys typically uses the default of 192.168.1.1.....

Thanks for the help.

So one is a wired router, and one is wireless, correct? (didn't want to look the product IDs up). The only reason I can think of to plug in the wired on is if you need to use it as a switch for a little bit more port density. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

i agree.

it sounds like you aren't using any of the wired ports (or only 1 or 2 maybe), so there really is no reason to insert the other router in the setup.

Back