Connecting to printer wirelessly

irishBoiler

Weaksauce
I have a laptop with a wireless card running Vista Ultimate.
I'm trying to connect to an hp officejet 7100 that is plugged via usb into a windows xp pro machine.

How can I connect to the printer if the xp machine is on a different domain? I was thinking I could connect to it via the xp's ip address, but I'm lost. I can set the printer as a shareable printer, but when I add a network printer on my vista laptop, it can't connect to the printer through the IP address that I specified.

Feel free to ask me questions, it's my first post. Also, to prevent flames, I did search first (and read that really b*tching sticky in this section) but I can't find anything similar to my issue.

...anyone?

If you have any questions or I worded something badly, let me know...thanks!

what about buying a USB to ethernet adapter for your printer? unless you are only interested in a free solution. You can find printer servers for 20 - 30 bucks

Honestly, it wouldn't be worth it. I'm the only semi-technically saavy person, and if I leave no one would do it. I was looking for a simple software solution or some checkbox in XP that I could check so that I could connect to the computer's IP address and use that printer.

I have a laptop with a wireless card running Vista Ultimate.
I'm trying to connect to an hp officejet 7100 that is plugged via usb into a windows xp pro machine.

How can I connect to the printer if the xp machine is on a different domain? I was thinking I could connect to it via the xp's ip address, but I'm lost. I can set the printer as a shareable printer, but when I add a network printer on my vista laptop, it can't connect to the printer through the IP address that I specified.

Feel free to ask me questions, it's my first post. Also, to prevent flames, I did search first (and read that really b*tching sticky in this section) but I can't find anything similar to my issue.

Okay so your not on a domain controller? Then what exactly do you mean by on a different domain? A workgroup? Because you can browse cross workgroups no issue.

Control Panel -> Printers -> Add printer -> Add Network, wireless or Bluetooth printer -> and Vista should search for all network/shared printers. When it picks it up add it. (The XP machine has to be logged into the account that is sharing it at any time you wish to print though.

Also I'm pretty sure the 7100 has built in print server... why not just run some cat5 over from the printer to your switch?

Disclaimer: I'm sorry if I just went on a rant and I'm misunderstanding what you're having trouble with. I print on a shared printer from my Vista Ultimate x64 Laptop over various networks no problem....

First, you're right...I think it's just across workgroups. I've tried exactly what you said in Vista and it never finds it. Also, I've made sure the printer is shared on the XP machine. I've tried explicitly looking for \\machinename\printersharename, but it doesn't work either..

Lastly...it's a long story why I'm not just plugging some cat5 in.

Hmmmmm, is network discovery enabled on your Vista machine? This has to be enabled for you to view other machines on the network. If that's not it... then I am completely lost for ideas.

Back