Connecting to campground WiFi

wildbill001

Weaksauce
We have a used motorhome we use quite a bit. More and more campgrounds have WiFi but the signal is usually fairly weak. So I've been searching for better solutions but seem to just be confusing myself in the process.

As I understand it, if I bring my own repeater, I will be effectively halving the signal and thus the speed. A "true" WAP requires a hard-wire connection to the "home" router in the campground and that won't happen.

It would seem that what I really want is a high-gain, directional antenna to capture the existing signal, then connect another router(for wireless or wired) to provide connection inside the motorhome. (I would like to be able to connect up to 3-4 systems). Am I thinking about this right?

What I'm thinking is a small ITX type system running Linux, with a USB dongle in a directional antenna. This would capture the signal, join the network and provide routing/NAT'ing between my "internal" network and the campground net.. Then from that system, either plug in another router and/or a switch to connect up my systems.

Would this be the "best" solution and would it give me the best signal/speed? Any and all suggestions/comments welcome.

i would get a ubiquiti loco m2 and hook it up to the wan port on any 'ol wireless router you feel comfortable with...

set up the web interface to be accessed through your router so you can use it to join your wireless networks, voila, can even mount it to the outside of the RV if you want... also there are suction cup mounts available if you just want to stick it on a window or something... just make sure it's pointed at whatever you were wanting to connect to...

Hmmm, Not familiar with that brand but a look at their website leads me to believe I would need a pair? One at the sending end and one at the receiving end? Or am I looking at this wrong for this brand?

The loco's are meant for point to point or point to multi point, however like Good stated you can use one as a "client" to extend the network.

Ubiquiti is a great brand and is cheap.

Hmmm, Not familiar with that brand but a look at their website leads me to believe I would need a pair? One at the sending end and one at the receiving end? Or am I looking at this wrong for this brand?

yea, their website can be confusing, they've kind of designed it for people who already know what their products do... kind of dumb...

like klank said, you're just using it as a wired high powered directional wireless network adapter... it has a network port instead of having to deal w/ USB mess, so you can just plug it into existing network infrastructure (like a wifi router you have in your RV)

Back