Connecting switch to switch?

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
Adding another switch in my network? What isthe proper way to do so?

I have:

cable modem ---- smoothwall firewall ---- cisco router ---- linksys switch ----- linksys switch --- PC's

when connecting 2 switches via cat5 cable, do I just plug the cable connecting the 2 in any RJ-45 hookup on both sides or does it matter? Can it be just any old regualr cat5 or 6 cable?

Thanks for any info.

well you need to use a crossover, or use the uplink port on one of the switches

Some switchs now have auto MDI/MDI-X. If yours is one of them, just use any kind of cable, and it will auto determine what it needs to do. If yours isn't like this, then just use a crossover.

no it's cool.

a crossover cable has pairs within the cable itself rolled. go to bestbuy and as for one, they should be able to help

and uplink port might also be labeled as MDI/MDI-X

666 said:
crossover is different from cat5 or cat6? sorry for the dumb question
the cable itself is the same, just the wiring on one of the ends has the send/receive wires reversed.

most switches have an uplink port. you connect the uplink of one to a regular port on the other with a normal cable. it doesn't matter which switch uses the uplink. if there's no uplink, then you need a crossover cable. also, some switches that have an uplink port may have that port linked with a regular port next to it, that is, you can only use either the uplink or the regular port at one time, not both at the same time.

ok, this is my switch

17-201-105-04.JPG

I dont see any uplink ports, they are just labeled 1-16.

So I can NOT use a cat5 cable to bridge this switch to another identical one? I need a patch cable?

666 said:
ok, this is my switch

17-201-105-04.JPG

I dont see any uplink ports, they are just labeled 1-16.

So I can NOT use a cat5 cable to bridge this switch to another identical one? I need a patch cable?
you'll have to read the specs to see if that has that auto sensing/switching dealie (or just try it :p) but you'll probably need a crossover cable (or a pigtail adaptor, basically it plugs into a regular ethernet cable and switches the send/receive and then makes it a crossover, i've never actually seen one nor do i know where to get them, i've only heard of them).

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=35&scid=39&prid=472
16 Autosensing 10/100 full duplex, auto MDI/MDI-X ports
it should work no matter what, that is, a regular cable should be just fine

so I guess I can just try one cat 5 cable to both ends and if that does not work, then just get a patch cable... :D

also, i don't think there's a technical difference (though i could be wrong) but a patch cable is no different from normal ethernet cable. i believe the term is generally used to signify a relatively short cable, often one that goes from a patch panel to a switch/hub or a computer to a plug in the wall.

tim said:
but a patch cable is no different from normal ethernet cable..

isn't normal ethernet cable = cat5 cable.? so then how is cat5 and patch cable different.

A patch cord is a standard Cat(X) cable generally used for patch runs from switch to switch, router to router, or devices locations 10m or less in distance. It can be either straight through or crossover.

Auto MDI/MDI-X basically means you can use a crossover or a straight through and it will automatically detect what kind of cable it is and be able to send data. Usually like devices will need to be cabled with a crossover cable, whereas unlike devices are connected with a straight through. For your switch you can use whatever you have handy as long as it has an RJ-45 on the end of it and is working. =)

Hope that helps.

-DVA

Back