Connecting PC to TV

EvilMike

n00b
I just bought a new 27inch tv with 2 or 3 A/V ports and an svideo port and I was wondering, my PC sits about 20 feet away and what would be the best way to connect my PC to my computer? Are long S-video cables sufficient? I have a Radeon 9800Pro 128mb.

if its not an hdtv, svideo is about as good as it's gonna get. text and such won't look that great unless its really big

I bought a 20 foot s-video cable years ago to do the same thing you are trying to do. It works, but its pretty much useless IMO. Maybe for videos its ok but using the internet, playing games, etc its really bad quality especially for text. They might have gotten better since I used it with a ATI Rage card heh but I don't think so.

Fun to play with I guess.

I got mine from MilesTek.

Actually to rather rephrase that. I'm on a 802.11b wireless network (Linksys), and I also have an Xbox connected to my PC via a 25ft crossover cable for Xbox Live on my same 27inch TV. I'm just really looking to view video files on my PC to my TV so I can watch them on my comfy couch. What would be some other options for viewing videos besides hooking up the s-video and junk? Not really looking to spend a lot of money, but open for opinions. I also have a copy of Windows XP Media Center edition.

so your xbox is taking up the svideo input on your tv?

if your tv has component (red green blue RCA jacks) inputs, you can buy the vga/dvi to component adapter for your 9800 pro for under $30 and a long component cable (might be pricey).

An s-video to RCA (single yellow plug) adapter for your video card would probably look pretty trashy on the tv. Although, this adapter may have come with your pc or vid card and you might want to give it a try.

Maybe someone knows about s-video switches or something you could use because a long s-video cable probably makes the most sense for what you want to do.

First off, if you dont have a tv yet then look for one with a dvi connector, lot better quality than Svhs connectors.

just be certain of your freq you're using and match your tv with video card

http://www.htpcnews.com/

djskankho said:
so your xbox is taking up the svideo input on your tv?

if your tv has component (red green blue RCA jacks) inputs, you can buy the vga/dvi to component adapter for your 9800 pro for under $30 and a long component cable (might be pricey).

An s-video to RCA (single yellow plug) adapter for your video card would probably look pretty trashy on the tv. Although, this adapter may have come with your pc or vid card and you might want to give it a try.

Maybe someone knows about s-video switches or something you could use because a long s-video cable probably makes the most sense for what you want to do.

My Xbox is connected via just the regular A/V cables (red, white, yellow) but I do have the green/blue/red RCA jacks. Are you talking about this? http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/video-to-vga.html#hd15rgb

yes it will. I got a 100 foot S-video cable of ebay. decent stuff, cheap price.

Back