Connecting PC Audio to TV Help

AboveBeyond

Weaksauce
Does anyone know what cable I need to buy that connects to the "PC / DVI AUDIO IN"?

For video, I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable so the video works fine but I'm having issues with the audio.

Thanks!

IMAG0018.jpg

Actually I have a ATI 5850, couldn't I just use an HDMI to HDMI and i'll get both video and audio?

You should be able to. I'm not positive, but that looks like an optical input for the audio. I would just go with HDMI though. It should be less of a headache.

Does you 5850 not have HDMI out? If not it ought to have atleast one ATI DVI to HDMI adapter in the box you need that for HDMI audio I believe because of some weird nonstandard DVI to HDMI thing to get the audio.

Looks like a standard 3.5mm audio jack.

jack_cable.jpg

A lot of TVs have them for misc input/output. Just use a male to male 3.5mm jack from your computers audio out/headphone port to the PC/DVI AUDIO IN port on the TV.

But this begs the question, why are you using a HDMI to DVI cable in the first place, instead of a standard HDMI cable? If you did that, all you have to do in order to get audio trough the HDMI cable is to set "ATI HDMI Output" to default under Control Pannel>Sound. It'll probably give you better sound quality, though if you are just using the TV speakers, it's not going to matter much... but still, one less cable to deal with.

I agree that TV speakers warrant RCA cables. The issue is the DAC on TVs is usually so low quality that it will downconvert to crappy rates before running them when even the RealTek DAC will convert to stereo audio atleast partly decently these days.

Back