Connecting one router to another and then to internet

tripex

Gawd
Hey guys, heres my situation:

I have 2 equipments:

1) Some Router (chinese brand) with modem integrated, supplied by the ISP.

2) Linksys WRT54G.

The Chinese Router is directly connected to the internet and actually serves as gateway/router. The problem is, i still need the Linksys and the MAC filtering it comes with, to allow certain people access the internet and block the rest (chinese model doesnt have any security features).

Is there a way to connect my workstations to the Linksys Router and have this one connect to the Chinese Router?

Remember, i need the MAC filtering feature on the Linksys.

I assume the chinese modem is a DSL modem. If so, set it to bridged mode and enter all your PPP settings on the linksys. This will turn the chinese router into a dumb modem.

Dew said:
I assume the chinese modem is a DSL modem. If so, set it to bridged mode and enter all your PPP settings on the linksys. This will turn the chinese router into a dumb modem.

Thanks thats what i did.

Plug the cat5 cable from the chinese modem into the WAN port. It will grab an IP from it and you should get online fine.

As others have said you could also disable DHCP and just plug the chinese modem cat5 into a normal LAN port and have it function as the DHCP server. The wireless MAC filtering will still work.

*edit* did not even see you got it working, well ^^ is another idea :)

Back