Connecting Guitar to PC Using Reason - JamLab?

Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
46
I am wanting to connect my guitar to my PC, so I can record with it in Reason. I notice there is an adapter called JamLab from M-Audio, which is a USB adapter, and also comes with it's own software.

My question is using this do you think it will work in Reason? I already have my keyboard connected to reason through a USB adapter and it works great. I read a review of Jamlab on Amazon that said when you install the JamLab software, it becomes your new Soundcard or something. This concernes me a little, especially if I'm getting an X-Fi.

I was going to get an X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - If I use the JamLab USB, will I be able to still use the Audio Creation tool in X-Fi, or does it have to be connected directly to the soundcard?

If I can't do any of this, I guess I will have to connect my guitar through an adapter into the mic port of the X-Fi Gamer. If I do have to do this though, do you think it would be advised to get a Fatal1ty instead and plug it straight into the front bay without an adapter? (Better sound quality?) Just it is a lot more money for the sake of 1 port.

Any help appreciated.
 
Using the mic in for a guitar input would sound very bad to say the least. Usually the way it is to use a giutar preamp or a line output from a amp.
From what I seen the JAMLAB from M-Audio is a USB guitar input. This would have little to do with any add-in soundcard.
You would just import audio right from the JAMLAB into your favorite software. No doubt the Jam Lab will come with production software aswell.
That is a nice litle interface and you wouldn't need to buy another soundcard if you had that. You would only need a soundcard to playback audio that your importing or mastering.

Product Features

* 1/4 guitar input
* 1/8 headphone/line output
* Built-in USB cable
* 24-bit, 44.1/48kHz audio quality
* Core Audio, WDM, ASIO 2 drivers
* Class-compliant with Mac OS 10.3.8
* Includes GT Player Express software:
* professional effects
* stomp-box modelling including noise gate, EQ, chorus and reverb
* variable-speed playback of standard AAC, MP3 and WAV files*
* stand-alone, ReWire or VST plug-in operation

Seems like everything you need to get going recording some tracks.
 
Thanks very much for your reply. I was specifially wanting Reason to recognize it so I could play along with the track whilst Reason is recording, instead of having to import it. Reason does this with my Keyboard, however it is using a USB Midi connector, whilst the guitar isn't, so I'm not really sure if it would do it. I think I'll go ahead and get it, even if it is $60 more in the UK than for sale in the US.

Something you mentioned about the mic port - I do have an amp, so could I connect the guitar to my amp, and then from the output on the amp connect it so my mic port using an adapter? I'm assuming this wouldn't damage the sound card at all?

Thanks again.
 
Basically those mic ports are USLESSS for anything related to recording audio.
If your amp has a Line_out like mine does then great!! all you need is a cable and adapter and conenct it to the line in. You can play along and record easily. What sort of output does your AMP have? Were you buying the X-fi for recording purposes?
 
Hi,

Regarding the Soundcard, I am getting it for gaming mainly, but was just thinking if I could record from it it would be a bonus, which is why I thought about getting the Fatal1ty.

My amp does have a line out on it. You can get a good view of it here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160103949733&indexURL=1#ebayphotohosting

So I could just use the line out on the amp, and connect it via an adapter into the soundcard flexijack? Isn't this also the mic port though, so would it still sound bad? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...4-bit+96KHz+PCI+Interface+Sound+Card+-+Retail)

Thanks again for your replies, it's appreciated.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sure you can use a X-fi to record just fine. The Flexi-jack is a few different inputs. IF your really serious though you may want toget a better recording card. Your Line-out on the amp will be Line_level so it will be compatible with the Line_in on your X-fi. If you connect this to a mic input it will be distorted and sound very bad. If your gonna be recording you want a nice clean input -this is why you use the line in NOT the mic. You also have a line_in on your onboard. -if that's all you have to use. Right now you could probably hook it up if you had the cable and adapters.
You don't really need that USB interface at all. Just use the amp out and the line in and record away...:cool:
 
Wow that's amazing, thanks so much. That saves me a lot of money - I just need to buy the adapter now, which for some reason is proving hard to find in the UK, but I'll keep searching. At worst I'll pay a couple more dollars and get it shipped from the US.

I do also have an effects pedal to go with the guitar which has a line out. Is it asking too much of my equipment to have the guitar connected to the amp, and then the amp connected to the foot pedal, which is then connected to the flexijack on the X-Fi? Would this harm the soundcard at all?
 
What type of effect is it usually effect are between the guitar and the amp. What effect are you talking about?
For me I have: Guitar -> effects->Amplifier->mixer->soundcard. You will have a similar setup minus the mixer...
 
No, no probelm whatsoever, you can have a bunch of effects and it wouldn't hurt the card any. SO you would have:
Guitar ->cable->Toneworks->Amplifier->cable+adapter->soundcard.

You can also use realtime effects on the soundcard such as reverb, EQ, Chorus, Echo etc.
most soundcards will have some effects to use.:D
I also use a mixer , just before the soundcard so I can use a Vocal quality Micorphone and can add more insturments or devices to the mix if I like.
I am also using another soundcard to add realtime effects to the channel Via channel inserts.
Good luck and Happy Jammin'
 
Back
Top