Connecting cisco switches 3750 to 2948G

spinelli

Gawd
OK,

I am not a network admin nor do I have much networking experience so this may be a noob question, but here goes anyway.

We just added a 3rd switch to our network(3750) and the port that connects it to the 2948G stays amber.

We already had one 3750 connected to the 2948G and its connections are all green so what is wrong with this one? I checked cisco's site and all I can understand is the fact that when that LED is amber the port is working but not correctly. Yet we have no troubles or amber lights on any other connections on that switch.

Our IT dept at corporate assures me this 3750 is set up the same as the other one. All our switches are set up by the corporate IT so we just plug the bad boys in. Only this time we show amber instead of green.

And that damn amber light pisses me off so much I see it in my sleep.

duplex mismatch?

did you try something as simple as swaping out the patch cable?

Using Copper gigabit?

Crossover cable pinout
gigabit TX

1) orange-white green-white
2)orange green
3)green-white orange-white
4)blue brown-white
5) blue white brown
6)green orange
7)brown-white blue
8)brown blue-white

Threw me the first time I saw it. HTH!

It's most likely a switchport misconfiguration. When a cisco switchport gets blocked via spanning tree, it will light up amber. Portfast or something similar might be enabled on the upstream switch when it shouldn't be. The IT dept. should be able to fix it.

If you have console access, login to the switch, and then plug the cable in. The console messages should give you a good idea of what is wrong.

Like alrox said, most like its a spanning-tree issue (i.e the port on the 2948G being in portfast mode,) It also might be a trunk mismatch (isl vs dot1q).

Back