Connected wrong psu modular cable and shorted hd. What now?

acesea

Limp Gawd
Several of my psus have modular cables. I just realized that certain Antec and Mushkin models have identical modular female/male plugs but the actual wiring is terminated differently.

I used a mushkin modular cable to connect an antec psu to several hard drives. After powering the system on several times without getting the hard drives to function I realized its the damn fing cable. If it matters, the drives are 15k.6 seagate sas.

Now I replaced the modular power cable with the correct one and the drives appear dead. Is there anything I can do to attempt to revive them?

UPDATE: Damn power supplies lacking standardized modular cables. The drives had no data so I will just rma them. I don't have the patience to figure out which components on the pcb need replacing.

Last edited:
they aren't identical if one is male and one is female :), i dont see how it would short as it shouldn't fit unless you really jammed them on there.

The ordering of the pins can be different on the end that plugs into the power supply. There is no standard so they can use the same connector on that end but have totally different assignments. So if 12V was applied the 3.3 or 5V connections of the powersupply this can cause permanent damage.

The OP probably needs to replace the boards on the drives if there is valuable data on the drives. This will be expensive since new/refirb drives will have to be purchased.

they aren't identical if one is male and one is female :), i dont see how it would short as it shouldn't fit unless you really jammed them on there.

A mushkin modular sata cable's male psu cable connections connect directly into an antec psu's female modular connection. The male and female plastic modular connectors are identical between the antec and mushkin psus but the actual copper wiring pinout inside the male or female connection is different.

They fit perfectly. No jamming.

Last edited:
The ordering of the pins can be different on the end that plugs into the power supply. There is no standard so they can use the same connector on that end but have totally different assignments. So if 12V was applied the 3.3 or 5V connections of the powersupply this can cause permanent damage.

The OP probably needs to replace the boards on the drives if there is valuable data on the drives. This will be expensive since new/refirb drives will have to be purchased.

Lesson learned.

Thanks.

Back