Connect via modem but not via router. DHCP Client turned itself off? Malware?

Spare-Flair

Supreme [H]ardness
Okay I usually know what I'm doing but this has me totally stumped. I'm also worried a little about some of this behavior because I found the DHCP Client service changed its settings without my doing so.

My main computer usually connects to the internet via ethernet cable to my wireless router (which provides wireless for a laptop). Last night, my internet suddenly stopped working on my main computer. I noticed that in network connections, there were usually 3 icons, wireless internet (disabled for my main computer since it's connected via ethernet), local area network, and high-speed internet connection/internet gateway.

The high-speed connection/gateway icon disappeared and now there is only LAN. The LAN says it's connected but I can't even connect to my router (192.168.2.1) through internet explorer. I log into my router via wireless and see the DHCP is assigning a proper IP to my main computer but for some reason, the main computer can't see or access the router through the wired LAN.

I thought that perhaps my new router was busted so I connected my laptop to the router via ethernet cable but wow, it worked (and I got the high-speed internet connection/internet gateway icon). So my laptop can work on the wired LAN...So I thought perhaps the network controller or ethernet port on my main computer is busted...so I installed/uninstalled it, updated drivers, used the create new connection/home network setup wizard a few times, etc. I then disconnected it from the router and plugged it directly into the cable modem - bam! I have internet.

So why does my main computer work if I plug it directly into the modem but not if it's plugged into the router all of a sudden? It worked fine like this for over a year. Other computer can be plugged into the router and work fine. I have no idea what's going on. I even plugged in a wireless USB network adapter to my main computer and tried it out and that works for connecting wirelessly. I just can't connect to the router with my main computer via ethernet and I've tried 3 different cables - that's not the issue as again, it works when plugged straight into the modem.

***I tried to repair the connection but it told me it couldn't clear the DNS so I went to command prompt and did an ipconfig /flushdns and it failed. I poked around and discovered that for some reason, my DHCP Client in services.msc was stopped (what would cause this to happen? Some kind of malware? I was just surfing the internet one second and the next, no internet). I turned it back to automatic and started it, restarted computer, etc. but I still have the same problem. I noticed that the logon for the DHCP Client was also set as network service with a strange long password I didn't recognize. Shouldn't this be a local service???

Under ipconfig, the DNS suffix is my internet provider and everything else seems to checkout fine, except that I can't even ping my router, it times out.

Back