Connect to Computers on your network?

cam966251

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi, i have a personal home network in my house with 3+ computers. I would like to remotely store files on these computers.

The problem is when i go to My Network places>Workgroup computers> then i try to go into one of the computers on my network, it doesnt let me get in, it says acess is denied, which i expect it to say, but is there a way to type in the admin password of the computer i am trying to acess so i can connect to it, also i would like to do remote shutdown through the command promt but it also says acess denied. or are there any programs i can use to do what i want? i jsut want full acess to the computers, they are mine so i am allowed to do it.

Thank you for your help.

BTW: Its Windows XP Pro

Cory

Although this shouldn't be a problem with XP, have you tried adding user accounts of the same name that the other machines use?

Codegen said:
Although this shouldn't be a problem with XP, have you tried adding user accounts of the same name that the other machines use?

Do you mean adding accounts with the same name as i am using on the main PC?

There all owned by my family members so they have thier name on them.

start ----> Run \\computername

It should then ask for a user name and password. Once those credentials are entered you should have access to only the directories that are shared. You can setup any of the partitions on your computers to allow shared access. Just right click on the drive letter and enable sharing of the drive. Once the drive is shared you can map the drive on your remote machines. If you want to shut the boxes down remotely I would suggest and app called advanced ip scanner. You can scan your network, select a box, enter credentials and shut the machine down remotely. I hope this helps

p.s. that app is free from download.com its not the greatest but for a 3 computer setup it will work fine...

winuxgeek said:
start ----> Run \\computername

It should then ask for a user name and password. Once those credentials are entered you should have access to only the directories that are shared. You can setup any of the partitions on your computers to allow shared access. Just right click on the drive letter and enable sharing of the drive. Once the drive is shared you can map the drive on your remote machines. If you want to shut the boxes down remotely I would suggest and app called advanced ip scanner. You can scan your network, select a box, enter credentials and shut the machine down remotely. I hope this helps

Thank you for your help

That app can give a message to the user before the computer shuts down. I used to use it to shut down workstations at a small office that I worked at. You can have a window popup before the remote machines shuts down. The window can display any text that you enter. You can also just do a netsend from the command prompt.

net send * your message here

that will send your text to any user on the network that is running the windows messaging service.

winuxgeek said:
That app can give a message to the user before the computer shuts down. I used to use it to shut down workstations at a small office that I worked at. You can have a window popup before the remote machines shuts down. The window can display any text that you enter. You can also just do a netsend from the command prompt.

net send * your message here

that will send your text to any user on the network that is running the windows messaging service.

Does it work if there are multiple people logged on?

I havent tried but I dont see why it wouldnt. Once you initiate a remote shutdown it cant be overridden by anyone using the computer. Once the count down for the shut down begins it cant be stopped.

that was in reference to the app, the net send message will be received by anyone logged into their pc

winuxgeek said:
that was in reference to the app, the net send message will be received by anyone logged into there pc

What if there not admin?

It doesnt seem to be working for me i think i have like 2 admins running and 2 users and 1 of the users is logged in right now. I'll jsut continue to fool around with the app

it jsut keeps telling my remote shutdown was unsucessful

you have to enter the user name and password for an adim account on the remote machine

also try disabling the windows firewall on the machine just to test the app

scanner.jpg

I have disables the firewall on my computer and the one i am trying to target and it still doesnt work for me.

Should i post a screenshot to show you what i am doing?

I just thought of a much easier way if that doesnt work. Use remote desktop. You can then shut down the machines once you have remotely connected to them. You must first enable remote acces by right clicking on my computer and going to properties. Then select the remote tab

remotedesktop.jpg

winuxgeek said:
I just thought of a much easier way if that doesnt work. Use remote desktop. You can then shut down the machines once you have remotely connected to them. You must first enable remote acces by right clicking on my computer and going to properties. Then select the remote tab

remotedesktop.jpg

Yeah, i know that i can use that, i just thought i could get that app working, i dont know what else to try. Remote desktop works though, i dont think you can do a shutdown through that though.

you can shut the machine down just like if you were sitting in front of it. You just lose your connection once the machine powers down

I have 3 servers that I use for testing that dont have monitors attached to them. I just remote into them to reboot them or to work on them.

Alright, well thank you for all your help, i am jsut going to continue to tinker with it.

Back