• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

"Connect to" box appearing unexpectedly

Ubtree

n00b
Joined
Jan 5, 2007
Messages
23
I am trying to add a PC to a home network (comprising 2 existing PCs, and a 3rd new PC, all operating WXP), with a workgroup (rather than a domain).

The two existing PCs communicate with each other without any problem, but when I try to access the new PC from the existing PCs (or visa versa), a "Connect to" box appears, prompting for a username and password.

What have I done wrong? :confused:
 
Usually when I see that box it's because one PC is in the wrong work group or the connecting user doesn't have an account on the PC I'm trying to connect to. Now my fathers PC did that too me and wouldn't let me in even with the correct password, the user name box was already filled in and grayed out. I think it was his Mcafee firewall but never did sort it out. He was only here for a couple of days and was using his laptop a lot so I didn't mess with it.
 
You're right - I'm sorry. Although I had in other respects set up the users in the same way, I hadn't yet set the password on the new PC. I have done this now, and everything is OK.

Many thanks for your help.
 
Back
Top