• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Congrats Brilong #1 [H]ard Folder

Grandpa_01

[H]ard|DCer of the Year 2013
Joined
Jun 4, 2011
Messages
1,175
Congrats brilong I see you are now #1 thanks for all the folding, keep an eye on your rear view, I will try and not let you out of my site, Although with your production that is going to be a little difficult. keep it up. :)
 
Thank you, Grandpa! You are an example for all of us on how to dedicate ourselves to folding. Keep it up!
 
Yes, good job. Now, let's have you move to a new project. :evilgrin:.
 
I would be happy to suggest a few... :D

Please do. I'm playing with BOINC WCG and WUProp now on a home Windoze 7 x64 box. I like the fact my family members haven't complained about the host being slow even though it's running 12 threads of WCG!

I need to figure out how to easily automate the setup on the [H] Ubuntu image tear and others created. I need to re-read tear's BOINC thread about this setup and try it on a few of my Linux hosts.
 
wow, is it that serious? #1 folder on the #1 team seriously considering bailing?

pg needs to seriously pull their head out
 
Well, if you are looking to push the team, the projects in the DC Vault can be appealing. If you don't care about the Vault, then there are a few more.

WCG is great most of the time. The down sides are that they tend to drag their feet a bunch. They also don't have any current GPU sub projects and their points suck compared to MOST BOINC projects.

There are many bio/medical projects, but I try not to suggest some due to growing pains and supply issues. I would suggest looking at POEM (GPU work should return within a few months), Rosetta, SIMAP, and Docking (though there is no communication what so ever from staff) for protein research. All four seem to have steady work.

If you aren't stuck on just bio/medical just let me know and whether GPU or ARM processing matters to you...
 
wow, is it that serious? #1 folder on the #1 team seriously considering bailing?

pg needs to seriously pull their head out

I agree PG needs to pull their head out, but I'm not considering bailing, just diversifying. :)
 
I need to figure out how to easily automate the setup on the
[H] Ubuntu image tear and others created. I need to re-read tear's BOINC thread about this setup and try it on a few of my Linux hosts.

Rumor has it this is on the list to be evaluated.

I've also been looking at other projects as well.

 
Congrats Brilong!

I'm relatively new to folding. I'm addicted and have been slowly expanding my farm. How long did it take you to set up your plantation? How many kilowatts or MEGAwatts does it use:eek:
 
wow, is it that serious? #1 folder on the #1 team seriously considering bailing?

pg needs to seriously pull their head out

I used to be the #1 folder on the #1 team (and think #5 for the entire project was my high point) and bailed so, it's happened :p

regardless congrats are in order man, enjoy the crown while it's yours... there is always someone looking to take it away :)
 
Well, if you are looking to push the team, the projects in the DC Vault can be appealing. If you don't care about the Vault, then there are a few more.
I've been looking at the Vault page and trying to understand the point system. I read another thread where the 10,000-point system was explained, but which projects are easiest to affect?

There are many bio/medical projects, but I try not to suggest some due to growing pains and supply issues. I would suggest looking at POEM (GPU work should return within a few months), Rosetta, SIMAP, and Docking (though there is no communication what so ever from staff) for protein research. All four seem to have steady work.
I'll try some of them out. POEM and Rosetta seem to be okay. Will look into SIMAP and Docking.

If you aren't stuck on just bio/medical just let me know and whether GPU or ARM processing matters to you...

I'm all CPU except for two 7970's currently folding.

Thanks for the info.
 
I've been looking at the Vault page and trying to understand the point system. I read another thread where the 10,000-point system was explained, but which projects are easiest to affect?

That is the tough question. The less popular projects are worth more points for each position you take. However, you also have to look at how many resources have to go into reaching that next level. If one project gets 5 points for each position and can take 4 spots for 1 million BOINC points totaling 20 Vault points and another project is worth 20 Vault points per spot and only needs 500,000 BOINC points then obviously you would look at the 20 point project. Now throw in that factor of other teams also doing pushes. You have to look at things like if you take that spot, how long can you hold on to it? How many points do you need to run past that goal in order to give a large enough lead. Would it be smarter to go after the smaller points because there are less heavy hitters trailing you? There is a lot to planning it. I usually pick out personal goals and try to compare them to the teams needs to find a happy medium. I also ask the team their opinions each month for a focused push.

This is a good site to monitor current point values of each project. http://digik-oz.nl/dcVaultStats.aspx?team=[H]ardOCP It also has some good info on how many points in each category we are ahead to give an idea on how close other teams are to passing us in the Vault.

Since theskynet POGS is a new project in the Vault, it still doesn't have a lot of teams. Each position is worth a lot of points, but the teams that are on it are very active. We can make a lot of quick points, but if we don't make a large enough splash, we will just turn around and lose them. This is where the other contributors on the team (the ones that don't follow the pushes) really shine. Their continued efforts help maintain our position or hold off others advances...

Oh and keep in mind that BOINC points are easier obtained at some project rather than others. So, you really need to know the reward structure to assess what hardware should be used too... Yeah... a lot to it. A million points at a GPU project is a lot easier to get than 1 million at a CPU only project...
 
Last edited:
Another good example is RNA@home. It is worth 20.58 Vault points per position. We are virtually inactive there right now (other than my little contribution) and are about to get passed. The 2 teams above us are active. We would have to almost double our total points to get a large enough lead to not only move up a level, but to give room for the other two who will end up passing us when we move to the next push. That project has extremely long work units, requires Virtualbox, and can use up to 4GB ram per work unit. So, there is a lot of risk for wasted run time if a work unit fails. (In my opinion the project doesn't even belong in the Vault, but again that is just my opinion.)
 
This thread needs more pr0n.

Your Wish is my command. ;)

IMG_20130607_095835.jpg

Congrats Brilong.
RNA@home? eh :D
 
Last edited:
RNA also doesn't have consistent available work to just pick up and run with... So, it is a cluster F*ck trying to advance in the Vault at times. Vary frustrating. :(
 
Another good example is RNA@home.
<snip>
That project has extremely long work units, requires Virtualbox, and can use up to 4GB ram per work unit. So, there is a lot of risk for wasted run time if a work unit fails. (In my opinion the project doesn't even belong in the Vault, but again that is just my opinion.)

I don't think I can run this project on the home Winbloze boxes. One of them has 12GB RAM, but the other only has 4GB RAM total. If I convert Linux boxes to BOINC, I'll look into RNA@Home since they have plenty of RAM. Not sure I like the BOINC + Virtualbox idea though. Would this be up to 4GB RAM per thread, so if I had 24 threads, I might need as much as 96GB RAM?
 
That is per work unit. BOINC shouldn't (may need further testing) start any additional work units if there isn't enough ram available. I would also like to stress that they don't always have work readily available. It would be highly recommended to mix projects. :) (Asteroids uses very little memory and would be a good compliment to a RAM hungry project like this)

Just an FYI. Also, I don't believe the VB app (they have some non-VB apps) will work if you installed BOINC as a service. You should also use 64bit OS's (probably a no brainer at this point) and you should turn on the Vt technology of the processor in the BIOS if it isn't already. VB can't run 64bit VM's if this isn't turned on.

You can also limit RNA to running just one instance of the VM app by creating an app_config file with these lines:

<app_config>
<app>
<name>cmsearch3</name>
<max_concurrent>1</max_concurrent>
</app>
</app_config>
 
A hearty congratulations to you Brilong! You've redefined what it means to be [H]ard!
 
I don't think I can run this project on the home Winbloze boxes. One of them has 12GB RAM, but the other only has 4GB RAM total. If I convert Linux boxes to BOINC, I'll look into RNA@Home since they have plenty of RAM. Not sure I like the BOINC + Virtualbox idea though. Would this be up to 4GB RAM per thread, so if I had 24 threads, I might need as much as 96GB RAM?

I posted in their forums for clarification. Here is what they said:

https://www.rechenkraft.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=13058&start=120
With the new VM application it is guaranteed that the used RAM never exceeds 4GB (at the moment). When using a newer BOINC Client (7.2.33) it is also assured that only so much VM tasks are started at the same time as the RAM settings allow. We will lower the max. RAM usage to 3 GB when I update the application on Friday. Usually the application takes up to 600MB of RAM when running (but allocates the remaining 3.4GB).
 
Well done sir. Very [H]ard indeed.
 
Back
Top