• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Confusion on Crossfire/Eyefinity on hires

bot2600

n00b
Joined
Oct 6, 2004
Messages
17
I purchased 3 of the 2560x1140 import monitors that only have DVI-D inputs.

I am looking to do gaming across all 3 of them and was thinking about a pair of 7970 GHZ Edition cards in Crossfire.

From what I can tell, there aren't any that have 2 dual link DVI ports, so I would need to get one with a Dual Link DVI port and 2 Display Port/Mini Display Port and get active adapters for both of them.

Does that sound about right?

The 7970 GHZ Edition seems best bang for the buck, but if I have to get 2 $100 adapters, I might reconsider just getting a pair of 780s.

Thoughts? Anyone have any experience running 3 2560 monitors off of a 7970 or crossfired pair etc?

Thanks in advance.
 
You pretty much nailed it on the head - if you don't have DisplayPort monitors you have to get the dual-link adapters which are about $100 each. If you don't like tearing you'll have to get *THREE* adapters and avoid the DVI port altogether which means buying a HD7970 with 3 or more DisplayPorts or get a MST 1.2 hub (assuming the damn things ever get released).
 
Yep. Welcome to my world. I use 3 adapters on 7970 lightnings for no tearng and crossfire eyefinity.
 
Back
Top