Confusion about Vsync

alinwrkshp

n00b
This is a setting i rarely touch. Default is off. I was always under the impression this slowed down a fps. It sync's the adapter an monitor, right?

Well just recently i was playin City of Villians with a friend. We have the same exact computer barring our video cards. He has a 128mb 6800gt and I have 256mb 7800gt.

He was able to set his quality settings much higher than me without noticeable lag. Then he says turn on your vsync. I argued this point. I have been in computers a long time and thought i had a handle on all matters, he on the other hand has learned everything second hand from me.

So he starts telling me to turn on vsync...i argue that it wont help. Then quietly without his knowledge i turn it on...and low and behold...frames jump quite a bit. He was right...now have have to eat crow and I want a damn explanation?!?

Can anyone explain this to me? Am I confusing what vsync does? Am I wrong in thinking it usual has a negative impact on frame rates?

The only way it would really impact your frames is by limiting the amount that can be rendered in a period of time (60fps for 60hz, 75 for 75hz, etc).

What you may have been experiencing is just that you were able to up your quality without noticing any speed up or slow down because your capping your fps; this is just my best guess. I'm sure someone will get more technical with you than I can.

Man I hear ya. For years I have been told (And by peoples who's knowledge far exceeded mine), always off for a gamer. I turned it on in a couple of games lately. Doom3, Far Cry, and suddenly everything got alot smoother. Sadly I do not know why so hopefully others will chime in.

Worldhammer said:
Man I hear ya. For years I have been told (And by peoples who's knowledge far exceeded mine), always off for a gamer. I turned it on in a couple of games lately. Doom3, Far Cry, and suddenly everything got alot smoother. Sadly I do not know why so hopefully others will chime in.
Smoother, yes, faster, no.

I love vsync. It stops the tearing...nuff said. I would think a gamer would LOVE vsync...you dont need 150 FPS...60 is just fine.

Ebenol said:
Try turning off triple buffering.
I just tried Vsync in Counter-Strike: Source, it seems different... like.. no tearing but.. it feels a little odd, never tried Vsync yet on my x800 card, but my 6600GT it was terrible and just made everything feel sluggish, but now it feels almost normal, maybe it's because I'm tired... been up since yesterday at 11:30.

I don't get high enough FPS in Quake 4 so I won't even bother in there.

alinwrkshp said:
He was able to set his quality settings much higher than me without noticeable lag. Then he says turn on your vsync. I argued this point. I have been in computers a long time and thought i had a handle on all matters, he on the other hand has learned everything second hand from me.
Are you sure he is getting better fps? As others have said, it reduces tearing. I can see how tearing may be confused with lower fps, but you should still mark the fps on the two computers.

Floppor said:
can u set Vsync to more than 60fps?

Vsync will be whatever your refresh rate is (or as close to it as possible). If the refresh rate is set to 75Hz, your FPS will be 75.

Back