• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Confused when it comes to a headset

XdVeLoPeX

Gawd
Joined
Oct 5, 2010
Messages
547
I have a GTX 570 connected to a LG LE5300 IPS panel via DVI-HDMI (dvi out on video card to hdmi-dvi input on back of monitor) and am getting audio via the onboard sound card from my video card. I then have a optical cable going from the monitor to Logitech Z-680 speakers everythin works fine...

Considering purchasing a 7.1 surround sound headset or similar and am confused how I would get it to work?? will plugging headset to the headphone jack provide 7.1 channel audio via the headphones if currently it says im running in stereo (all 5.1 speakers work but only recognized left and right) its sort of got me lost..
 
First off, I wouldn't bother with a multichannel headset - just get a good pair of stereo headphones, and use the soundcard's Dolby Headphone or CMSS:3D (depending on the soundcard you choose) to give positional audio.

I'm pretty sure (read positive) those multichannel headsets need multiple analog connections to work - you can't just plug them into a headphone jack and expect them to generate multichannel sound.
 
you should be using analog to connect those speakers.

and then if you get a surround headset (which i reccomend against) look for a USB one. that will offer the simplest solutions.
 
well i been running these z680s for about 10 years and im not planning on buying a dedicated sound card will remain using the onboard sound from my GTX.

Say I buy a headset thats usb (multi channel or not) and I plug it into my usb port what will drive the audio output to my usb?? I am still super lost sorry for being new to this need to get ready for BF3 beta gotta hear those footsteps ya know lol..
 
you do realize that by using the hdmi output and then passing it through your tv, your z680s are getting a stereo PCM signal right?
 
no i was not. the onboard sound is 8channel i believe.. my motherboard is asus p7p55d-e lx and i just noticed that i have a digital/optical out on my tv that is what is running to my z680s (thats y i couldnt set it to 5.1 in my sound in windows only stereo) have an old x-fi sound card which i beleive is 5.1 should i buy another optical cable and run it from the on board optical output to the tv ??
 
Back
Top