Confused setting up Denon AVR-1513

• Thread starter Deleted member 89137
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 89137

Hey, so I finally got a receiver and just set up surround with matching Pioneer Andrew Jones full range speakers for the center, rear and subwoofer, and am using my Yamaha NS-6490 3-way's as the front left and right.

I am a bit confused on how this should be set up with my PC though. I went through configure speakers, set it to 5.1 and full range, and it sounds great. The problem is, after I did that, the receiver only has these options for surround mode:
Stereo
Multi CH Stereo
Multi CH In
Virtual
Direct
_

Before I did configure, I had those options, plus:
PL II Cinema
DTS NEO 6 Cinema
_

I see in the properties for the playback device that the receiver supports:
DTS Audio
Dolby Digital Plus
DTS-HD
Dolby TrueHD
Dolby Digital
_

Shouldn't the receiver's surround mode be DTS? I think the only one that makes sense for watching movies with DTS audio is direct mode? Am I right? I feel like this means my PC is decoding the DTS instead of the receiver? Any help is appreciated, trying to make sure I have everything set up correctly.

assuming you are using HDMI with the receiver, set Windows Sound, Playback Device to Digital Output Device (HDMI)

Not sure what you mean. Yes I am using HDMI

SzgnoqU.png

My question really is this: is the direct sound mode correct? Why don't I have the option on my receiver to use DTS surround after enabling 5.1 surround by configuring the device to 5.1 and all full range speakers?

I haven't been able to get DTS to work on my setup yet either. I was directed to setup LAV Filters but haven't had any time to mess with it. I was finally able to get Multi Channel to show up on the receivers display but that's it so far. I'm using a Nvidia 560ti and Denon2310ci.

This is some more info I found that I thought may help me when I get time so I thought I'd share.

Q & A:

1) How do I Bitstream TrueHD & DTS-HD Master audio From my PC to My surround
Receiver?

Part 1 - Setting up Sound / Bitstreaming in Windows (Only read and Use first
Part about Windows):

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/201...bitstreaming-with-your-windows-7-htpc-part-i/

Part 2 - Setting up Software & Software Player:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/201...-mpc-hc-for-all-your-splitter-and-audio-needs

Multi CH In is the setting you want. Stereo sources will playback as stereo. 5.1 sources will play back in 5.1.

From there, you can use the Multi CH Stereo setting to expand a 2 channel signal to all your speakers if you want to. Or the Stereo setting to downmix surround to stereo.

Dolby PL2 and DTS Neo aren't really necessary, imo. Note that they are different, separate, and distinct from things such as DTS HD, Dolby TrueHD, ect. PL2 was used back in ye olden days to expand some rather carefully encoded 'surround' signals back before discrete surround sound became prevalent. Or to expand stereo signals across your surround setup.

That said, if you're looking for a lot of sound modes to play around with, I'd give Yamaha or Onkyo a look. Yamaha in particular puts some effort into it, though I prefer to stick with Denon or Onkyo for Audyssey on their midrange units.

set receiver input to the appropriate HDMI input
set Listening Mode to Direct.
Play the DVD/Bluray source material
the indicator LED for DTS or Dolby will only light up when the receiver detects the bitstream

What software are you using? You didn't post the speaker configuration screenshot but I assume you set it to 5.1.

If you download MPC-HC (pretty much the best way to play back non-3d blurays and .mkv files on the PC if you dont need a fancy front end for your library) then you can go into the sound settings in there and check all the boxes for bitstreaming, then it should work.

Here is an excellent guide to follow:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1357375-advanced-mpc-hc-setup-guide.html

Back