Confused on liquid to use/add

JKownz

[H]ard|Gawd
I had a recent problem of black deposits on my loop. Found out I am using a aluminum based rad mixed with copper and a kill coil. Seems that was my problem. So now my question is when adding distilled water I know I shouldn't use a copper sulfate drops because of the mixture of aluminum and brass metals. From what I kept reading I should still use distilled water with some sort of coolant additive and a biocide not harmful to mixed metals?. I don't know what to add to prevent corrosion and stop growth.

Here is a link to all the products I was using before.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1789518

You cannot stop or prevent corrosion in a mixed metal loop, you can only slow it down.

You cannot stop or prevent corrosion in a mixed metal loop, you can only slow it down.

Yeah agreed. honestly i'd say you're better off replacing the aluminum rad with something else. You'll likely see a bit of a bump in cooling performance as well.

Yea I have the aquacomputer 480 single circuit rad. Seems the internals are aluminum with aluminum fins. Might just get a full copper or brass rad.

Question #2 if your system is all brass/copper based and fittings are nickel coated brass, is that safe?. I want to be certain this tme I don't make a mistake again.

When I swap the rad out the a all copper/brass I'm assuming only distilled water and 1-2 drops of ptnuke copper sulfate solution correct?

Yea I have the aquacomputer 480 single circuit rad. Seems the internals are aluminum with aluminum fins. Might just get a full copper or brass rad.

Question #2 if your system is all brass/copper based and fittings are nickel coated brass, is that safe?. I want to be certain this tme I don't make a mistake again.

The best way to guarantee no corrosion is 100% copper... but nickel and copper don't have nearly as much of a potential difference to drive galvanic corrosion as Al and Cu have, so combining them is much safer.

When I swap the rad out the a all copper/brass I'm assuming only distilled water and 1-2 drops of ptnuke copper sulfate solution correct?

Yes.

What he said.

Some makers of pure silver water blocks give warnings not to use nickel parts in same loop. Not as bad case of galvanic corrosion as what happens to alu+copper situation.

Even all nickel plated products are not that cool on their own when used with distilled water.

Already for years I have stopped using distilled water. I use non conductive, non toxic coolants. Mostly premixed. No issues what so ever. OFC you have to change coolants from time to time. If Algae growth becomes an issue you can still add some additive but then you have to find out what can work with your coolant. Some will just ruin your coolant others will just add to overall protection. Also if they say one drop at 1L do not put 5 drops in one litre.

BTW if galvanic corrosion already happened your Alu radiator insides are ruined. It is coated with non conductive (heat conductive) oxide. This lowers down radiators efficiency.

Just wanted to point out that your rad AC Airplex Modularity 480 is NOT aluminum internally. Only the fins are aluminum. No aluminum touches the water according to manufacturers own specs. I took this quote from the 360mm of the same rad that you have right from Aquacomputer's website " "cooling liquid has no direct contact to aluminum (pipes are made of copper". It's listed in the key features of the radiator. Not sure how this info will help you though...

Last edited:
Already for years I have stopped using distilled water. I use non conductive, non toxic coolants. Mostly premixed. No issues what so ever.
Those coolants are a waste of money. Most of the ones I've seen are just high purity water (which is non-conductive) with a bunch of glycol in them. The glycol helps prevent galvanic corrosion, but reduces your cooling efficiency slightly. The rest of the benefit comes from the high water purity, which goes right out the window the moment they are exposed to any sort of metal and start picking up ions. Then you're right back to distilled water + anti-freeze

I just made the switch to straight distilled + biocide. I do have one nickle plated brass part in my Aqualis, I'm hoping it does not give me problems. All copper is best.

I read adding a silver kill coil to a loop with nickle and copper is a bad idea.

Straight copper it would be fine, but copper and nickle adding silver isn't the best idea. Only Copper and Nickle should be fine as well. If I was you I would ditch the kill coil and just use a biocide.

Last edited:
Back